3PDT foot switch in point-to-point

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by MontyS12, Apr 9, 2020.

1. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Hi all. Dumb question likely. I'm kind of a noob at this and am planning on building a relatively simple tube overdrive. I'm not using a pcb and I'm just researching some different wiring diagrams and such. Every generic foot switch wiring instruction i find seems to involve a pcb. My question is: If you have no PCB, then where do the wires that would normally route from switch to the in/out on the pcb go to?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Do you want to use the switch? None of those diagrams show one, but "the wires" would go to the same places as they would on a pcb - input, out, bypass, probably an LED powered from the battery....the same as almost any other DIY pedal.

4. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Ok, so I realize that the switch has to be wired to input/output jacks regardless of there being a pcb. I'm not putting in an led. So the wires going from switch to in/out on pcb go exactly where? On the DC jack? What I need to know is what input and output is being talked about. I'm that new at this. Seriously, talk to me like I'm 5.

5. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Anybody at all?

6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

On the "PCB-less Wiring Diagram", the input is the C1 capacitor, the output is the centre leg of the volume pot.

If you don't use an LED, you can get away with a DPDT switch. If you already have the 3PDT, you can still use that.

Here's a diagram that uses the 3PDT with the valvecaster. It looks a bit confusing at first glance, but it's exactly what you need (just ignore the LED bit) It does use a 'stereo' input jack to switch the DC jack.

[​IMG]

JeffBlue likes this.
  7. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Hmm. Looks like my reply mysteriously disappeared. Aging Rocker, I cannot thank you enough! This is exactly what I needed!! One last question: Would you say that the stereo jack is necessary here?

aging_rocker likes this.
  8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Holic

No worries, happy to help - I built a valvecaster a while back, and downloaded a bunch of diagrams, including that one. Like you, I basically built it on the back of the tube socket. I ran mine at 12v rather than 9v, sounded pretty good, but if I recall correctly the volume control was noisy when I turned it, can't remember why. I also skipped the tone control.

It was fun! I need to find it again... :)

Nah, the stereo jack is not essential. It basically just acts as a 'switch' which disconnects the ground leg of the DC jack when no instrument plug is inserted, so no current can flow. That made sense when using battery power for a pedal, or else the battery could drain fairly quickly. Not an issue with an outboard supply.

Remembering to unplug the DC supply will have the same effect... :cool:

9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

StompboxWiringScheme.jpg

awasson likes this.
  10. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

So, I have completed the build, pretty sure I wired everything correctly and it actually sounds completely normal except for the fact that it is so low in volume that it's not usable. Any ideas off the top? 15876813861379077110028680722895.jpg

11. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

I just noticed the tiniest red dot, under magnifying glass, on one side of the the yellow cap that's going from lug 1 on volume to lug 3 on tone to far right and the dot is on the side connected to positive. Don't have time to rip into it right now, unfortunately but i'm wondering if I found the culprit.

12. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Oh well. That wasn't it.

13. MontyS12

MontyS12 TDPRI Member

Does anyone know if the retaining ring is what grounds the tube socket in a valvecaster?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.