1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3D printed knobs

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Peltogyne, Feb 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

... and speaking of knobs, anyone else trying to 3D print some? I've gotten the function down but the finish detail doesn't look good up close. Yet.

Attached Files:

jddub440 likes this.
  2. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

I’d be interested in 3D printed knobs if someone has a printer and would be willing to make me some. I’m looking for those plastic Fender ones with the F on top - the kind that were on the HM strat.

jddub440 likes this.
  3. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

3D printing hasn't caught up with injecton molding when it comes to surface finish. I work in the molding industry and have had my 3D printer for a while. I like printing for rapid development stuff, but the surface finish just isn't there. Printing in ABS and post-treating with acetone can help.

Snowcave likes this.
  4. Peltogyne

So true. I've been printing in PETG and sanding the finish but it doesn't come close to the quality of a $2 knob from ebay. I also like TPU for the rubbery feel.

5. Snowcave

Snowcave TDPRI Member

I've done some 3d printing. Try making a plaster cast of a 3d printed part, then smoothing the inside of the mold to a better surface finish and pouring some kind of resin into it. Or just pour the resin then finish the surface on the cast part after removing it from the mold.

It might be easier to get a good surface by using the 3d print as a way to make a plaster mold, instead of using the 3d print directly. Good luck!

6. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

A knurled TPU knob with a smooth cap could be very nice! Or 3D printed knurls slipped over a wooden knob?

7. Peltogyne

I do like the TPU knobs and the way they feel. Needs more work on the finish than the hard plastics. It's probably more useable in black and if you don't zoom in this close.

IMG_6672.jpg

8. Peltogyne

I found one on Reverb for $30! Cool knob, I could model it in 3D but couldn't come close to the level of detail it has with my printer.

[​IMG]

9. Amerman

Amerman TDPRI Member

I think if you're reproducing something that already exists, for small runs silicon moulds are the way to go.

That said, I'm excited to see what could be done with 3D printed knobs. I guess it could be designed to use the surface texture as a feature?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.