$379.99 Fender Classic Player Triple Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by arielyitus, Dec 16, 2016.

1. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

No brainer! Ordered mine today! Keep, resale, part out, or experiment!

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Yeah,
    I'm not gonna hold my breath on it becoming "rare & valuable" but it certainly won't hurt anything to keep it in the best condition possible for the next few years. I do think that with my proposed wiring mods it may well do a good job of sounding like a Tele, as well as a fair job of mimicking a Strat and a dual humbucker guitar.
    We Shall See, What We Shall see!
    Gene

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If there was any value increase ... anything at all done to it would detract from that... even "wiring mods" or reversing polarity.

While I have no delusions about value increasing dramatically and at best rising to possibly near original retail like the Muddy Waters model but I don't really expect that either. Although I like that it has a middle pickup and I like that they are all the same Nocaster bridge pickups. I have a set of Nocasters in my 2007 Pinecaster and I like the bridge pickup.

I think the middle pickup is what kept it from being more popular. If it was a 2 pickup model with 2 bridge pickups and the neck route was big enough for a hum or P90 with a pick guard change I think it would have been more widely accepted.

ScribbleSomething and jvin248 like this.
  4. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

The Nashville tele has 3 pickups and is popular, although they aren't all slanted.

5. Mike Simpson

I had a Nashville and it took a while to sell it for $325.

6. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

I like the new Fiesta Red Nashville tele. Wish Fender made more teles in Fiesta Red

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Mike,
    I agree whole old fartedly! :p However, given that I'm an amp builder and been doing in depth electronic repairs and mods for nearly 50 years, my soldering skills and "products" look like factory and if I were to do any mods, and decide to sell it, the guitar would go back to OEM specs, if so warranted. Likely, if selling, I would give the buyer the option of having a nicely modded guitar or factory correct.

Just Sayin'
    Gene

8. Mike Simpson

The fact that it had ever been altered would drive off any collector.

marsh99 likes this.
  9. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

It does. Ive done the flipped righty thing its just not for me. It's not about the price usually - its about some guitars just flat out not being available.

Tootle likes this.
  10. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's

That is so sweet.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I got one of these last summer. I like the vintage frets and the bridge pickup sounds wonderful, IMHO.

I didn't care for the neck and middle sounds very much, they aren't as good as the tones from my stock MIM Nashvilles... Just my opinion, but several other people who heard them side by side with me agreed.

As a standalone guitar, I think the Triple Tele was a cool idea that didn't quite come together in reality.

FYI, All the pickups are wrapped in the same direction, so there is no hum cancelling in combination, and putting three single coil Tele pickups side by side makes a lot of noise. I found it basically unusable with any kind of overdrive or distortion tones, and while the clean sounds were serviceable, they were still inferior to my MIM Nashvilles with Tex Mex pickups.

After some deliberation, I had my tech route the body for a humbucker... He's got a nice computer controlled routing table, so he programmed it for a standard Fender neck humbucker route, and it came out fantastic.

I then had him install a Classic 57 in the neck, and a push pull tone pot that splits it. I also replaced the 5 way switch with a 3-way.

The tapped 57 sounds very nice by itself, which was a nice bonus. In combination with the bridge, it will do a convincing traditional neck/bridge Tele sound, but it's also hum cancelling in the middle position.

Of course, you can also run both coils of the 57 along with the bridge, and that's a useful sound as well. All three coils in combination aren't as quiet as the humbucker by itself, but they're still quieter than the bridge pickup by itself, but with a lot more gain... Works very well for heavy stuff now too.

I originally tried to reuse the 5 way switch, but it was awkward. Then I thought about using a 4-way switch, but since I'm used to the 3 way switch from my other Teles, putting the coil tap on the tone pot gave me the most useful combinations and is still easy for me to control.

This guitar is now one of my favorites, and it's definitely one of the most versatile in my collection. It can do all the classic Tele sounds, plus the jazzy Gibson neck sound, plus a nice meaty thick sound for heavy stuff.

My only complaint is that the truss rod adjustment is in the neck pocket, so you have to take off the neck to adjust the truss. In a perfect world, the truss access would be from the headstock, but otherwise I'm very happy with it now.

I've also got two Nocaster bridge pickups left over that I can use for another project. They're very nice bridge pickups... Just not good neck or middle pickups, IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    jpize10, syrynx, pondcaster and 2 others like this.
  12. goldsend

goldsend TDPRI Member

Aaaanndd, there goes my money...

Captain Simian, jvin248 and JayFreddy like this.
  13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Conversely likes this.
  14. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

So the Nashville tele is arguably a more versatile and practical guitar, while the Triple Tele is more a frankenstinean project cobbled together to showcase Custom Shop Nocaster pickups.

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

This triple bridge Tele is a too tempting of an offer. I've been kind of hoping the inventory would be out and I'd have made a no decision decision!

Some notes:
    -I have a Black MIM HB Esquire (with a 4-way on the split coils) with the red tortoiseshell pickguard and can comment that it's a great color choice as done in the previous post.
    -The medium-C neck thickness comment is a pause as a chunky-C is better for me -- see how I'm working that 'no decision' decision?
    -While I've thought about building a triple bridge before because of the potential coolness, the play vids for it on YT were not inspiring. Mostly to do with the 5-way.
    -There is a lot of guitar here to like.
    -I'd lift off the pickguard with the neck and middle pickups plus the control plate and put that all aside in a safe box, then get a new color guard to fit a pair of Strat pickups, put a 4-way switch in, and a push/pull tone pot or use the tone as a blender pot to add the middle pickup like a regular Nashville.
    -I agree with the collectible angle on these, MIM is less likely to be collectible, and the fact it's not tied to an artist like the Muddy Waters Tele noted previously (that's a cool guitar from what I've seen of it) will not lift its price that way. The MW is a special case, I avoid most artist-series guitars as they generally narrow resale interest as a buyer must be a guitar model fan plus the artist fan.

Oh, difficult decision! I'm keeping this thread and the guitar sales tabs open in my browser.

16. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

If your just collecting a way cool, unique Telecaster it's a no brainer. If you want a practical player, buy a Nashville with Noiseless/Toneless pickups. I dare say many, if not most Tele forum members who chase 1950s era pickups in search of holy grail tone are less than practical.

17. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Thanks Im thinking of going with a red pickguard to contrast the black body.

18. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Interesting...

The deal comes through Adorama, a site where I buy a lot of photo equipment and where I have VIP status.

The deal does not apply to VIPs. When I log in to my account, I only see the guitar for the normal $799.

Edited to add: Hmm, so I went back to slickdeals after I'd logged into my account and clicked on the deal link, and darned if it didn't reflect the $379.99 price. So what's a guy to do? Christmas shopping is all done and I still have $$$ left over.

Tele #3 on its way...

19. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Mine just arrived! Just gonna wait for it acclimate in to the house temp.

speedy mcfeely likes this.
  20. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

FIRST!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.