1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$350 for a MIM Tele. Should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitarguy91, Dec 2, 2020.

1. johnnycnote

johnnycnote Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

:):):)

2. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May or may not be a good deal. On a guitar that old, I'd check the frets for wear.

3. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve never had luck haggling in a pawn shop. All the ones around here have a pricing algorithm in the computer, and they don’t budge from it.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I laughed out loud at this, girlfriend not happy at 12:05 a.m.

I don't know if she isn't happy about me laughing out loud, or being on a guitar forum at this hour.

But yeah, asking a bunch of other addicts if you should buy more drugs.... Duh!?

Skydog1010 and Jerry_Mountains like this.
  5. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Tough to find a mom tele much cheaper than that. Go get it.

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

no way!! that $350 will make all the difference in your life...

Make sure and lowball the shop, they are a pawn shop after all, and probably gave some pore sucker $75 for it max.

If you want it, and you think it's a fair deal just buy it already please.

Did you post pictures btw?

One this is for sure, often when I pickup up a guitar at a pawnshop, I'm surprised by how poorly it really plays, and I wonder how somebody even did that to a guitar.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i paid $300 for one in the nineties and it's still my favorite guitar.

8. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

You might be right. The MIM stuff I’ve seen pop up on Facebook and Craigslist usually doesn’t go below $450-500 lately. I haven’t seen that low of a price on a MIM Tele in over a year. I also assume this pandemic has something to do with that.

Skydog1010 and posttoastie like this.
  9. Guitarguy91

Guitarguy91 TDPRI Member

The guitar doesn’t come with a case or gig bag and I’ll be bringing my amp to test it out plus I will ask if they drop it down to $300. If it plays and feels right.

M2roadwarrior and teletimetx like this.
  10. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Yes.
    Also, pre-2006 the frets were vintage, then they were changed to medium jumbo.
    Personally I would be happy to pay 50-100$ more for the bigger frets.
    Many people consider the early MIM Alnico Telecaster pickups to be preferable to the later ceramics. I don't know what year that changed.

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

It all depends on the neck, is is crooked (take straight edge), does the truss rod work(take an allen wrench), are the frets in decent shape, and do you like the profile. Body and electronics are easy to repair and replace, but the neck is a different story. $350 is not a bad price for an MIM

telestratosonic likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Given the current market ... as long as that guitar has all the bits and bobs and not worn out frets that price is the low end of the market now, perhaps below market.

Pickups should be Alnico back then. I have a 2000 MIM that has Alnico.
    From poor memory the dual ceramic magnet pickups started around 2003-ish. They started much earlier for Strats.

In the end, the magnets only adjust the output signal strength, which you can adjust pickup heights to compensate. If you want more classic tones then drop the ceramic pickups as far as you can, and if you want super hard charging rock outputs you need the Alnicos as close to the strings as you can get them while ceramic give you a bit more power. Tone problems enter when a player sets their ceramic magnets to the typical published factory specs, which were set for alnico.

I would take a multi-meter and a pedal board shortie 'guitar cable' so you can actually measure the kohms of the parts, switching, and pots. I've found more issues (wrong wiring, bad switches shorting, single pickup wired to all switch positions because the other pickup was dead, reversed bridge and neck pickup outputs) than any 'bring my amp to play test' would uncover. Bring these tools and the neck evaluation tools above and you'll look like a pro in there checking out the guitar and 'offering a more realistic price' if necessary. Even if you plan on gutting the guitar to put in all new boutique parts.

14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

For some reason used MIM teles are priced higher than used MIM strats nowadays. I blame TDPRI for being so rad that everyone wants to be part of it. There's an early 00s strat I've been eyeing that's been sitting awhile at $300. I had a line on a 2015(?) for less than $200 last week that got sold before I could get it. But I'm not seeing teles that low.

I paid $300 new for my MIM tele in 1999. I still use it everyday. Probably gonna need some work and setup as it's over 20 years old. But $300-350 is about as good as it gets right now for these.

15. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

In our area used MIM strat/tele in decent shape have gone up from just over 3 bills to 4 bills + over the past few years. The creep up follows new prices. We have a 2000 MIM strat in the family and that era has a good build quality. I would say if it checks out ok - go for it if that's what you want.

16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

92 MIM

neck so good , had it refretted .

Am Std bridge , drilled thru (orig a top loader ) 5 piece body ! :lol:

it’s soooo good.

I’ve played plenty of am Std Tele’s that areNt as good as this. Weigh more too.

so dollars become meaningless

a lifer guitar (but hopefully not too soon :lol:)

I

17. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

If you're very lucky you can get one for 300. But 350 is still a good price

18. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    If it works as it should, definitely.

If not walk away, could turn into a money pit or be a Chi-com-caster with a weirdo scale or some other trickiery, partscaster. Folks around the world are not just making Custom Shop knockoffs, I guess they figure if not a high end product, folks won't scrutinize as close as a Custom Shop Relic.

As mentioned earlier check all the frets.

I have asked to pull control panels and pickguards, admittedly doing so had raised some eyebrows with the salespeople.

You wanna do what?
    624a8a3dbd3b709bd677c73922189326.jpg

19. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Play it first. And do some more research on other teles similar.

20. Esetter1

Esetter1 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Great deal if it's in good shape and a colour/fretboard you can live with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.