1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

35 years ago today-Godspeed

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by posttoastie, Jan 28, 2021.

1. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

nojazzhere and uriah1 like this.
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very weird to watch Seven People get blown to bits and plunge to their Deaths like that.
    I remember it all too well.

RIP every one of them.

John Backlund likes this.
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

No vid.

What's that all about?

4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Wow, time flies. I remember I had the day off of work and was watching it on TV when it happened.

RIP Challenger crew. :)

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I was a senior in high school in the library doing research on my term paper. An American history teacher I’d had my Junior year had his class in the AV room watching the launch live on TV. He invited me in with his class and I saw it unfold.
    It shook me up a bit.
    RIP American heroes.

6. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

I was working for a local aerospace manufacturer here in Clearwater Fl. at the time.

We watched the launch on T.V., then about 10 of us walked out the front door

of our building to see it go up. Easy to see from Clearwater on a very cool and sunny day.

As we watched we saw the contrails suddenly split apart. One of our engineering staff members

said with a very concerned voice "that ain't right".

We went back inside and watched events unfold on T.V.

I seem to remember the split contrails hung in the air for a couple of hours ( a long time ago

so my memory may be a little faulty on that).

I will always remember that sad day very vividly. RIP to our brave space pioneers.

7. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I was in Jacksonville and NASA was on the AM /FM asking people to look for pieces and wiring in their yards and parking lots . . . . . Rest In Piece .

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I was teaching American Studies in Williamsburg, VA that day. I had two tvs in the room so we could watch. I felt pretty happy that I got it all working and set up... Everyone was excited. I never seriously considered the risk I was taking.

Then, it happened. Everyone was just frozen and silent and finally someone asked 'Will they be okay?' and I said, 'No, no, they won't survive that.'

Later, a couple of people told me they were furious with me for saying that and not at least expressing hope.

I was so envious of the astronauts and so would have loved being able to make that trip. If they had been going the next day again and asked me, back then, I would have gone without hesitation. Now, I would have really no interest.

There were some great people on that project. I am so sorry they died.

posttoastie, tery and Commodore 64 like this.
  9. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Watched it live. The shock of "is that what it looks like?" was sick-making.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tragedy that should have been avoided. There were long standing warnings about the o-ring seals.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    elihu and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Our entire third grade class was watching when it happened.

12. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I was working that day in Asheville, NC, and was about to leave the hotel for the plant. TV was on and I lingered to see the launch. I won’t forget it.

I was flying from Huntsville to Houston on the morning of February 1, 2003. We were connecting with a flight to Belize for a church mission trip. As we entered the waiting pattern to land in Houston, from my window seat on the left side of the plane, I saw what looked like a Roman candle shooting across the sky, heading eastward. I was mesmerized and said nothing. Then it broke up into multiple pieces. When we landed, I learned that the shuttle Columbia was missing. I don’t know if any other passengers saw it but the pilots had to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.