35 Year Old Recording

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by catdaddy, Jun 11, 2021 at 7:48 AM.

1. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Continuing the dig through my old tape archives, I found a 1980s recording of an original song I'd forgotten. Using Logic Pro and some Izotope plug-ins brought some life to a track that was originally mastered on a 4-track Tascam cassette recorder. If nothing else, the track was worth restoring just for my friend, Terry Premru's fabulous lead guitar work on the break and at the end of the song.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty cool. What drum machine did you use? Maybe a bit overboard on the delay, but I like it.

catdaddy likes this.
  3. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks! The drum machine was a Yamaha RX15.

rdjones and radiocaster like this.
  4. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Nice! Sounds like a Scholz Rockman on the rhythm guitar? What's on the lead guitar? Makes me want to put on my Wayfairers, hop in my Daytona, and fight crime in Miami! :cool:

catdaddy likes this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Nice... Great work and sounds for cassette. I had a Fostex X15 and a RX21 Drum Machine in the past.

catdaddy likes this.
  6. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for listening! Glad you enjoyed the 80s vibe.

I used an Arion SOD-1 Overdrive pedal for the rhythm guitar. I can't recall exactly what Terry used for his lead, but I know he was using a compression pedal and an overdrive.

[​IMG]

7. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sounds great!
    I've been messing around with cleaning up and 're-mastering' some of my 4-track recordings from the 80s. Regrettably I've lost or never had the actual 4-trk masters. All I have is the cassette stereo final mixes.

catdaddy likes this.
  8. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for listening! I've got to thank Logic Pro X and Izotope RX 7 and Elements for the sound quality. The original cassette recording didn't sound nearly as good.

Thank you! I should say that I wasn't working from the 4-track master of this song. I no longer have a 4-track cassette recorder, so I used the stereo cassette final mix for this track to work on. Are you familiar with Izotope's RX series of audio editors? Incredible technology that can actually give you some control over individual instruments and vocal levels from a stereo mix. It's magical! Best thing I've found for remixing/updating old recordings where the master tracks aren't available. Those cassette stereo final mixes you have might have more potential than you imagine!

klasaine likes this.
  9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Did you remix that with RX7's Music Rebalance applet? That's such a powerful app:

10. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Yes. It is an incredible tool! What I did was to create a separate track for each of the 4 parameters listed (voice, bass, percussion, other). I then loaded those 4 tracks plus my cassette stereo final mix into Logic. I then used that final stereo mix to create the basis for my new track, working with Izotope Elements to enhance EQ and stereo imagery. After that, I used the 4 tracks from RX7 to control the balance and levels of the individual instruments and vocal. I'm in absolute awe of the technology that can accomplish this audio magic.

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Mmmm... will it take the drum spill from our live recordings in the vocal mics?

12. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I can't tell you for certain if it will eliminate the spill entirely, but I'm sure it can improve it. The software allows for an amazing degree of control of the parameters. For instance, when I isolated the vocal track out of my cassette stereo mix I didn't apply the extreme level of isolation allowed. I've found that using the max amount of isolation sometimes ends up eliminating some vocal elements so I use moderation. As a consequence there were some artifacts (spill of other sounds) remaining and I wouldn't want anyone to hear just that track in isolation. But, when mixed judiciously with the stereo cassette track it can be used to bring up the vocal in the mix, and the low level artifacts are essentially inaudible.

I'd be willing to take that track with the drum spill and run it through the RX7 software for you to see if the results might be adequate. Send me a PM if you're interested in giving it a go.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.