35 Overdrive Pedals 'YouTube' Shoot-Out

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by leftiecaster, Jan 27, 2011.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

+1

I can understand their need to make a margin on a sale, but some of them want a margin that is ridiculous considering the effort that they have to put in versus what the builder does.

There are a few of us here who moan and groan about the ridiculously high cost of hand built gear. Aside from skilled labor costing extra, the wholesale price of handbuilt gear can go through the roof when a dealer or distributor marks it up to make their margin on it.

And there are those of us here who moan and groan about no local dealers of some of the hand built stuff. What is not typically realized is that to be able to try it locally means that you are going to get hit with a higher price.

While these issues are not directly related to this thread, since some of the pedals in the shootout are hard to find locally sometimes, it's just another thing to consider.

2. Impulse

Impulse Tele-Meister

Isn't it some kind of jealousy though? I mean, if people buy the overpriced, overhyped stuff that's their problem. No one forced them to buy it after all.

3. Pinball_Wizard

Pinball_Wizard Tele-Holic

All I can say (don't know if anyone else touched this). Is take into account the speakers you are listening to the clip through. I already know my speakers on my laptop are not good enough to actually give an accurate replay of how anything actually sounds.

Same for headphones, they're too small to enunciate important frequencies.

Now taking that account with the video, I hope the guy had fun making it.

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think this video demo does any of the pedals any favors, IMO, they all sound pretty damn similar to me (or could be dialed into sounding very close) and I have decent sized speakers that can pickup highs and lows just fine. But maybe you just really lose something in a video shoot...

From this video you would be hard pressed to explain to my why I should (if I had the $$, I don't!) why I should chose the Klon or Landgraff over the TS-9 RI. At least the DS-1 (though I don't really care for the more 80's metal distortion tone) was the ONE pedal that did not sound like the other 34;)

5. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

Soooo funny and soooo true! :lol::lol::lol:

6. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

It really was the only stand out pedal.

7. tibbon

tibbon TDPRI Member

I put in the video description as the very first thing, "Talking ends at 00:03:13" so you could fast forward past it. I hate videos that people yak too much too, but having that information upfront helped avoid us having to answer a lot of questions (what amp are you using, etc) time and time again.

Obviously, if it was embedded somewhere (like this site) then you couldn't easily see the description.

8. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

Interesting...

VERY INTERESTING. I didn't realize that a Boss DS-1 could be such a polarizing pedal!
    :lol:

9. Chiogtr4x

^^^ It does seem like a love/hate pedal, but its not going anywhere! I personally don't have a problem with a DS-1, I just don't play anything needing a pedal that I think of as having an '80's metal, or just harder distortion tone- Allmans, and Stones maybe Bad Co./Free is about as hard as I get, so there are alot of very popular great pedals that just aren't on my radar anyhow.

I just seemed to notice that the DS-1 seemed to stand out in the video (no judgement, it just sounded more aggressive)

10. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

+1

Except for a few exceptions here and there, they all did sound remarkably similar. I have pretty good audio gear, with a $300 dac, good headphone amp, sennheiser and beyerdynamic headphones, another good dac, yamaha amp and paradigm speaker monitors for my desktop, and although I could hear differences of course, it wasn't really night and day most of the time. In cases like that, the end gear isn't really the problem. The problem is the youtube compression.

With something like this shootout, where fidelity is so important - even if the products weren't all so similar, where it's even more important - and where it looks like good recording gear was used, I would put the video on youtube, but I'd also host it in its original form on a website somewhere else, and provide a link for anyone who wants the better version. That way at least people have the opportunity to hear the uncompressed video, which probably would be a lot more revealing than hearing it on yootoob. :eek:

11. Chiogtr4x

I think I missed it during the video's spoken intro(parts of the playback were "freezing up" on me momentarily)- what kind of amp was used? is that mentioned? thanks!

12. BeatlesAreMyJam

BeatlesAreMyJam Tele-Afflicted

I did a search and found that the LM308 chip is the missing piece from the current Rat. Sorry for wasting space. :oops:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.