1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

34"(long scale) strings on a 32"(medium scale) bass.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by gitlvr, Jan 1, 2015.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Hi, guys. Planning a 32" scale bass build sometime this year. I prefer to buy my bass strings locally, and the store I buy from only carries good old Fender Long Scale. Not a problem for my P, but never tried them on a 32" er.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

A 32" scale bass requires medium scale strings or you'll run out of leader and end up with the string itself wrapped around the tuning post. Not a good idea. I know you prefer to deal locally but since your guy doesn't stock what you need maybe you can make an exception.

Here's where I get my bass strings. You'll find any length and most any brand and type you like here. Prices and services are the best around so you should able to buy for far less than most locals shops sell for.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

This was my concern. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

No problem brother. I learned that one the hard way from experience with a Gibby EB-3 and all because of the same problem you have. The local store only stocked long scales and I was too inexperienced to know the difference.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

look through that site bassstringsonline, find a nice set, show it to your local shop owner, then ask him to order them for you next time he places an order with his supplier.

I appreciate your desire to support a local shop.

6. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

if its a build project use a string through body bridge. solves the medium scale problem. though I have to say I have never had a problem finding strings online for my medium scale acoustic.

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Robert, string through body is a thought I hadn't had. Worth considering.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.