1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

335's and similar - what's the value buy?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Grateful Ape, May 4, 2020.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

I’ve been through Ibanez (fair) and Epiphone (better) 335 copies. Settled on a Washburn.

[​IMG]

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The value buy is probably the Epi various versions. The Sheraton is killer nice aesthetically. Especially the older MIK ones but they are up in price a bit because of it. Std Epi 335's I've played run the gamut from decent to "dead". Many Ibanez are good too. I bought this vintage Sheraton 1-2 years ago for $350 with case off craig's list. On line they are higher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

A good thought is that a 335 type is a big heavy guitar. Keep that in mind. A lot to be said for the 339 size.
    Also, various D'Angelico's are getting good reviews, they make a 335 shape...

nojazzhere and Jakedog like this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wolf 2020 KSA50

335.jpg

mimmo and nojazzhere like this.
  5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Can’t speak to this Wolf model, but I have a Wolf 540TM LP copy that I’d match up against most of its competitors. On the right in this pic:
    EF5F6440-6A1C-45C7-9C4D-D6352EE41B25.jpeg

I wouldn’t hesitate trying a Wolf, especially if it’s made in Korea.

I have an Epi Dot. It’s pretty, but if I were buying today, I’d opt for the 335 Pro. I prefer its C neck profile over the D shape of my Dot.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Oh my......?
    What’s is that gibson? That’s not a midtown is it? Looks interesting

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve never been too impressed with the quality of the Epiphone stuff. Likewise for Ibanez, until you get out of the Artcore line and into the Artstar stuff. Around $1k and up.

I have a D’Angelico from the “Premier” line (usually $700-$800) that I got as a gift. I was honestly expecting Epi or Artcore quality. It’s not something I would have bought for myself.

It’s amazing. Like, really nice. The hardware and electronics are about on par with Artcore and Epi stuff, but the build, fretwork nut, etc seem much better. I also like that it has a maple neck instead of mahogany. Seems a lot more stable in terms of weather, temperature, and humidity than other import set necks I’ve had. It’s a really solid and stable neck.

I’m impressed with it. And I’m not normally into cheap import set necks. At all.

9. Cpt.Blues

Cpt.Blues TDPRI Member

I looked for quite awhile for a Gibson 335 and couldn't find anything that fit right or spoke to me. I did a lot of research online looking for a quality alternative. One guitar that consistently had 5 star reviews on every site I looked at was the Ibanez AS-153.

They retail for $1000 but I was able to buy a used one for $850. When I received it I was absolutely floored! The build quality was outstanding and the tones from it are everything I wanted in a semi-hollow. It has a feature called a "tri-tone" circuit that is a 3 position mini toggle that changes the sound of ibanez_as153ays_as_artstar_6_string_electric_1518091051_1388320.jpg the neck pickup. This gives you different sounds from both the neck pickup and middle position neck/bridge combination. I will never sell this guitar. The build quality is as good as some $3,000 guitars I played while looking for a 335.

10. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Ibanez AS153 is the best bang for the buck .... AS103 AS93 .... all of them are great.
    If you can find an Epi 335 Elitist I would buy it.

Dismalhead likes this.
  11. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Yes, it’s a 2012 Gibson Midtown. Body size is right in the middle between a 335 and a 339. Out of my 20+ guitars, it’s my wife’s favorite.

rangercaster and Fretting out like this.
  12. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Ibanez AS83
    20200202_001321.jpg

Grateful Ape and rangercaster like this.
  13. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

It’s Ibanez. The AS93 is awesome, the AS153 has all the bling. The Epi Sheraton is a nice guitar, but dollar for dollar I think Ibanez wins with better electronics, better fit and finish, and better setup out of the box.

alathIN, 6stringcowboy and Dismalhead like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Has the Firefly been mentioned? Lotta fans out there, so they must be pretty decent. Not a 335, but Gretsch has some pretty nice entry hollows for low scratch.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

I'll second this. I love my AS120 Artstar.

16. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Careful, some of these have a smaller body.

I can confirm the praise for D'Angelico Premier DC, but it's a little expensive.

17. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Hamer Echo sounds like a screaming deal if it could be found.
    It probably belongs in the hands of somebody who could do more with it, but the best 335-ish deal probably came to me when I got a mid-60's Trini Lopez from a mom/pop music shop in the mid 80's.
    Folks had been ignoring that beauty-in-the-window for months.
    When I walked in and expressed interest, they were ready-to-deal.
    Only later did I find out what a mixed blessing it is to have an under-appreciated musical orphan.

not mine - but just like it - I paid maybe $300. . .
    https://reverb.com/item/28090479-gi...966-ser-841718-original-black-hard-shell-case

Attached Files:

tubegeek likes this.
  18. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

“Value” is relative, but if I was in the market for a 335, I would strongly consider a Heritage. Not substantially cheaper than a Gibby new, but can be had for a good bit less on the used market. Excellent quality guitars that, at the very minimum meet (and many would argue exceed) the ones made in Memphis.

Pretty awesome company story, if you’re not familiar. Made in the old Gibson Kalamazoo factory on old Gibson equipment. Started by ex-Gibson employees that didn’t want to leave when the company packed up shop and moved to Tennessee in the eighties.

jayyj, loco gringo and rangercaster like this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s all relative.

Compared to an Epi dot it’s expensive.

Compared to a Gibson 335 it’s dirt cheap.

For me, the step up in quality from the $300-$600 stuff would make it totally worth it. I love mine. And I wouldn’t even know about it if it weren’t a gift. I just assumed everything in the sub $1k range would be pretty much the same so I never picked one up. If I didn’t have it I’d still be saving for an Ibanez Scofield or AS153.

20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just save your pennies and buy the Gibby or the Heritage ...

there is no substitute for the real thing...

CCK1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.