1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

335-style Nut Help Needed

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by phaedrus, Jan 19, 2021.

1. phaedrus

phaedrus Tele-Meister

Hello, I have some questions about a 335-style nut.

This is a new guitar and I noticed this when changing the strings. Grote 335, I also have the Grote 'Jazz' guitar, and its nut looks very similar. So I wonder if that's how all Grotes tend to be?

The grooves for the strings seem to flare outward a little bit on each side. And on the larger strings in particular there is a bit of an overhang. I've never seen this before, is this typical for a 335?

My intuition is that this is plum wrong.

Now once you get the guitar in tune, it tends to stay in tune pretty well. Pick it up the next day, only a minor tweak needed. Jam session, no problems.

It is a little hard to fret the lower frets on the bass strings, for example an F barre chord. Also, the intonation is a touch sharp on the lower frets. While from 5th-ish on up to the devil's playground I can get it spot on.

This leads me to believe that the nut may be a touch high.

So would I be correct in surmising a replacement nut is in order? If so, I will have some follow up questions as I've never done that before.

As an interim solution, I was thinking to use some sandpaper/microfinishing paper and smooth down the overhangs.

Is that a reasonable approach? I have two variety packs ranging from 220 up to 14000. What grits should I use?

20201229_133929.jpg 20201229_133736.jpg

2. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Yeah that E string slot is gnarly! So is the A. I was going to suggest sandpaper until I zoomed the picture in. It's probably salvageable if you have the right tools and know what you're doing. But man looking at that angled flat bottomed slot I'm thinking new nut.

3. cfreddy813

cfreddy813 TDPRI Member Vendor Member

The nut needs filing. It's too high as you've noted and the cut for the strings looks scary! For fool-proof setup, use feeler gauges to set your depth and then file away. If you'd rather lower by removing material from the bottom, set the sandpaper on a flat surface and go easy. I don't recommend it as it's not a very forgiving approach.

4. phaedrus

phaedrus Tele-Meister

Thank you both for the comments.

Since I just put new strings on, I'm not sure I Want to mess with replacing it immediately.

I may try to sand down the overhangs a touch and see if that helps with the string binding.

Stupid questions coming...

So I've seen this site for instructions on how to find the correct replacement nut:

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-nuts-guitar

Measuring the length seems straightforward enough. Pic 1

But for the height and width it seems you have to remove the nut first. Which would take the guitar out of service. Are there any tricks to get an accurate measurement while it is still attached?

For the E-to-E string spacing, do I set the calipers to the outside of the strings like in the picture 2?

Or try to center on the slots for strings 1 and 6 like in picture 3?

I think this is the correct way otherwise different string gaugues would change everything. Interesting to note that it's about 1mm difference using the two methods.

Also, how do you know how low the string slots need to be?

20210120_113240.jpg 20210120_113341.jpg 20210120_113440.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.