335 pickups 1967?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by aerhed, Mar 16, 2019.

1. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Who knows which pickups were in ES335TD models in 1967? Anybody?

2. Bortyeast

Bortyeast Tele-Holic

Mine had the original T Tops.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

What the heck is a T top? Brand new term for me.

4. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The coil bobbins have a "T" in the top. Google "Gibson T top", you'll find pictures.
    Keep in mind, back in those days, Gibson was likely making only one model of humbucker. It's not like now where they make multiple variations to go in different kinds of guitars. So in 1967, an ES-335 had a Gibson humbucker, pure & simple.

5. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. My 67 335 had Pat # T-Top pickups.

aerhed likes this.
  6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Holic

T tops that early are basically a PAF style pickup that was made with better/more consistent manufacturing process. Typically around 7.5-7.6k.

aerhed likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

T-tops sound great.
    I theorize it’s because of the T.
    Other letters just don’t sound as good.
    The late 60s T had a special effect on the Q of the pickup.
    Has anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

TigerG likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

If they were T tops in a 335, I can confirm they are REALLY GOOD.

I have a set of patent# stickered T tops in my similar vintage but slightly younger 345. Can do jangle to rock. Nice clear bridge and jazzy, sweet neck.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I've had many a pat# T-top guitars in my hands along with swapping.

I don't even know how they sound anymore!

Off the top of my head, though I've played more than I've owned, the ones in my early 70's V I had were very balanced/even sounding and seemed kinda low output, what a sound! In my early 70's LPC I used to own they seemed a good bit hotter and all midrange with a hair of honk. In my ES340 they're a hair honky while still on the lower output end of things. On my modded 60's NR bird they are a good bit higher output sizzlin pair of rock'n'roll mf'ers, woah.

I say all this with a foundation of doing enough "swaps" with one pickup set to get a general feel of the deviation between guitars/pickups, ie the guitar's sound then it's sound with a certain set along with twiddlin' on heights/polepieces.

I've had similar experiences with "PAF's," from tryouts, the only common thing being they're a bit more articulate, sometimes to a fault. Dunno if it's the "starting wire" or the magnets or some freakin' wire coating or whatever.

But, IMO, old unpotted Gibson pickups are a crap shoot though they have certain common elements compared to modern stuff. I've NEVER really been disappointed though as the different personalities, to me, are a feature and the beauty of the lack of consistency.

10. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

I wondered the same thing when I found my '67 ES-175D.

When I had it restored by a luthier, he said they were most likely late Pat# or early T-Tops bc in the mid to late 60s they started swapping the Pat#s for T-tops.

If you want a definitive answer, you'll need to remove the pickup covers and look for a "T" mark on the pickup. I honestly wouldn't do it if they've never been taken off.

11. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

Here's a picture of my pickup for comparison, assuming mine is a pat# and not t-top bc of the output, but no guarantee.
    I included both the neck and bridge output readings (mind you that it's not the most accurate reading just a ballpark). E4F81514-2ACA-4415-BB2A-ED5F28D43302.jpeg

9D0EC2D9-F541-47C5-94D9-7CA9D419CE3B.jpeg AB7090D4-EA5C-49CA-B5CB-FB2CF28E45A5.jpeg

12. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Well I won't be doing that because the 335 was stolen in 89. I asked because they were really good (esp. the neck), and I was thinking of trying to match them on a different guitar. What's the opinion on T-top vs. PAF? Looking for warm clarity and string definition. Hate muddy chords.

13. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That could depend on exactly when a given T-tops was made. I believe the T on the bobbins extended well into the 70's, and Gibson may have changed the formula more than once or twice during that time. Fairly recently I was interested in pretty much the same question and--not surprisingly--found varying opinions via a Google search. Some players say their T-tops sound fantastic, some say they're just average or mediocre. No question many were swapped out since they were current at the time the aftermarket pickups (Bill Lawrence, DiMarzio…) started making the scene.

LtKojak likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

My buddy’s ‘66 335 has the best pickups and worst neck of almost any guitar I’ve ever played.

All original but beat.

If I owned it I’d spend the grand or so and get it re-necked.

TigerG and brookdalebill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.