1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

335 kit-need help with harness install

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Boxla, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I'm trying to install my wiring harness in my SM 335 kit. I'm having difficulties pulling up my first component which is the input jack. I gave up yesterday in frustration and plan to try again tonight. Stew Mac recommends a couple of helper tools they have, one to hold the pots from underneath and one to plug into the jack to hold it tight while you screw down the nut.

Are there any tricks to doing this part of the job without those tools or am I better off to order them and be done with it?

I did/am trying rubber bands to little avail.

Thanks so much!

2. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Surgical tubing or aquarium tubing in a pinch.

Slide it over the pots, and slide it into the input jack until the tang holds it in place.

This will let you pull the parts up and through the wood, enough to get the nuts started on them.

An angled prybar works too, though you want to be careful not to mar the finish in the F-hole.

I always cover the control area with masking tape before putting the components into a 335 just in case a tool or part slips.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I am assume the harness is either prewired or that you made a jig to correctly space each component, I actually do this while the back is off the guitar. I fish a little string thru each hole and tie it on the component (I use dental floss). Carefully measure and adjust the back nut so you will have the right amount sticking thru the hole. Make sure you have whatever washers need to go on the inside, pull each component into place. You can reach inside thru the f-hole and help things along but it is tricky.

IMG_3394.JPG

Here is another picture, in this case I have taken the harness out to do some work on it, but again, I tied a piece of dental floss on each piece

IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

One thing that is particularly difficult is the pickup wires. I have take to installing terminals in the p/u cavities and splicing the wires there rather than trying to fish them out the f-hole, solder them and then stuff them back inside. You can faintly see them in the bridge p/u cavity on the red guitar.

Edit to add, I do have the jack holder ("jack the gripper") and I've made a tool with a male plug on one end of a rod that are both helpful but not necessary for one build. If you are going to do a lot of repairs the camming gripper is pretty slick

Danb541 and tintag27 like this.
  4. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Thank you both! Dental floss, that was the trick. Pulled em right on up. I give a big thumbs down to rubber bands. Yes, I wired all the components together using a cardboard template I made. But wow, no doubt fishing all that while working through the F holes is a pain. The Stew mac wires are so thin and brittle that I just know I'm going to snap one, especially while trying to tighten everything. I also put together a 5E3 kit back in April and I found that almost easier than this wiring harness install. I'm sure the next thing I'll encounter is it not working and I'll have to take it all out to inspect. Maybe not, but I have very little confidence in the stew mac wires.

Thanks again, very much appreciated!

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Here is one other trick if you are scratch building a 335 or similar guitar. I completely wire the guitar with the back off, then I tie my dental floss on the components and tape the holes and f-holes on the inside for finishing. I put the floss thru holes in the masking tape and tie it off on the outside. Put the back on the guitar - the parts are rattling around inside while I do the rest of the build but they pull easily in place when I'm done.

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

Boxla likes this.
  6. gb Custom Shop

gb Custom Shop TDPRI Member

Wiring up an ES thru the f holes can be a pain for sure. What I do for the jack is to tie string to a paper clip that fits snug in the jack, but with enough force it can be pulled out. That way you can fish the jack to its hole and then just pull the paper clip right out once it's positioned.

Boxla likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.