1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

335 Clone pickup suggestions

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dgassie, Dec 8, 2006.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Question on the Xaviere...those "metal" plates on the headstock, are they screwed in place ? Can they be removed (lord, are they ugly, imho).

J

2. Kurt

Kurt Tele-Meister

Epiphone Dot

This was one of the nicest guitars at a great price that I tried out in the past few years, but the pups would need to be replaced. I didn't end up buying only because I saved up for an Ibanez Scofield - also a clone of sorts but actually very different from a 335.

3. Brad J

Brad J Tele-Meister

Where did you post the clips? I'd be interested in giving them a listen.

4. ajmikula

ajmikula TDPRI Member

Bump so we can get an answer to this! :p

5. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Totally removable, they're screwed on the headstock with just two little screws. You'll have to replace the truss rod plate, anyway, since the truss rod pocket is rougly painted inside. While the headstock surface is very clean underneath, screw holes apart of course.

I think I'll remove them, too... though the headstock and the plates look as a Zemaitis-wannabe, the gold hardware (plates little screws INCLUDED!) on mine doesn't match the silver color of those (aluminium, I guess) plates.

By the way, I also took off the pickguard, I'm a thumb picker and I don't need it. That light pickguard, tuners, the four knobs (NOT the pots!) and those headstock plates are the only cheap components of the guitar, the rest deserves two thumbs up. Minor issues, easy to upgrade with a screwdriver and a few $$ if you want to do.

6. fingers23

fingers23 Tele-Meister

With a Classic 57 in the neck and 57+ in the bridge and you will not want for anything else..............they are better than the Seth Lovers......expensive but worth it as your guitar will become a 'keeper'

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.