33 1/3 Book Series

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by smartsoul72, Mar 21, 2021.

1. smartsoul72

smartsoul72 Tele-Holic

I love the Village Green record, although I haven't listened to it in quite a while. I guess that's why I haven't read the book yet. I need to pick it up

Flip G and Fendereedo like this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

These books are pretty brief and you may be better off getting your hands on it through inter library loan, breezing through it, and returning it. If you’re looking for a manual to make your next album sound like loveless, this isn’t it, and it’s not the kind of thing you’re going to underline and dogear and keep in your guitar case to refer to when recording.

The boring reality behind “Kevin shields went to x number of studios to get the record done” is that his label was paying and kept booking him in the cheapest places he could find, which weren’t really set up to handle what he was trying to do. The book never comes out and says it, but it wouldn’t shock me if it would have been cheaper to book my bloody valentine in a studio that could deal with what they were trying to accomplish in the first place and just getting loveless done in one go.

It’s still a gorgeous album.

smartsoul72 likes this.
  3. cyclopean

There are definitely occult references in zeppelin 4, but jimmy page isn’t really taken very seriously as an occultist.

Like seriously he bought one of aleister Crowley’s old homes and was too afraid to ever sleep there. That’s a rock star dilettante move for sure.

4. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I definitely dig the series and have a fair amount of them. The Who Sell Out, MC5 Kick Out the Jams and Kinks are the Village Green Preservation Society are my favorites so far. The Replacements Let it Be and Stones Exile are the biggest duds I have. I just looked through my stack and noticed I have the Highway 61 33.3 book. I think I might start it here soon. I'd like to get the Dusty in Memphis book by Warren Zanes. I really like his Tom Petty biography and the Dusty in Memphis record.

Fendereedo and smartsoul72 like this.
  5. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Holic

I know, the whole thing is played up as a form of character development for the music press of the day. And it mostly worked. There are occult references, but contrary to what the author says, not every pick scrape and string bend is an occult message.

Fendereedo likes this.
  6. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Bill Janovitz of Buffalo Tom, wrote the Exile on Main Street volume. The guy can write and knows his stuff.

His 'history of the Stones in 50 songs' full-length book "Rocks Off" is really terrific (if you're into the Stones).

7. Titletone

Titletone Tele-Meister

Read The Replacements Let It Be book and was very disappointed. Very little had to do with the album- it was more of an essay on the life of Colin Meloy.

8. ArthurMoniz

ArthurMoniz TDPRI Member

I agree with you, these books are short enough, and I'd like to find a more detailed guide. Although your example can be very vital to explain everything. I'd like to understand this properly, but currently, I'm preparing for release and WowGrade is helping me with this. It's hard to focus on multiple things at the same time, so I prefer to do it one at a time.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I've read only the book about "In the Aeroplane over the Sea," and it was good. It was definitely broader than the album, covering the rise and fall of Neutral Milk Hotel. I'd recommend it if you like that record.

10. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Keep meaning to read this one, never have got around to it. Good reminder (for me to procrastinate again).

[​IMG]

11. cyclopean

Oh, the one useful tidbit is that they sampled and looped guitar feedback and manipulated that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.