325 build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mr. Freddy, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

In 2013, with only one child, and determined that I still had a life of my own, I started building a replica of Lennon’s guitar he used on the first Sullivan appearance. It quickly became obvious that my time was not my own just yet. After another two little miracles (Owen is almost 2), they are becoming independent enough that I can carve out a few precious minutes here and there to play. Cleaning out the garage, I found this old project right where it left off, so I am going to make it my summer project. Here are the parts I made when I left off, and I started to carve off the “shelf” for the tremolo. Perhaps it won’t take another 6 years to finish it.... Life before 3 kids.jpg IMG_2611.jpeg IMG_2612.jpeg IMG_2613.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  2. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Time to work on the neck. Got the fingerboard template on and trimmed, and then used a few hand planes (including the mighty #7) to make the 7 degree headstock angle (I have seen 5 and 7 degrees, went with 7). I tried cutting the original one in 2013 with the chop saw and a jig but the results weren't great for a number of reasons, but all was easily corrected with hand tools. Glued up the scarf joint and tail block extension today. My wife took the kids to visit family as well as give me a few straight hours, and I became a little over-ambitious (as I do). As I was finishing up my last step, the mailman delivered a router bit I needed for the truss rod slot, and instead of being an adult and doing what I SHOULD have done (cleaned my bench for the next day) I tried to use my last little bit of time to get a slot cut. I unpacked the bit, tried to pull the bit out of its packaging (1/4" cutter and shaft), and my fingers slid right up the blades leaving some nasty cuts. A valuable lesson that I hope sticks with me. IMG_2623.jpeg IMG_2624.jpeg IMG_2625.jpeg IMG_2626.jpeg IMG_2627.jpeg IMG_2632.jpeg IMG_2633.jpeg IMG_2634.jpeg

DonM, Macrogats, Jim_in_PA and 2 others like this.
  3. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Looks like it is shaping up to be awesome! Excited to watch your progress!

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. Mr_Q

Mr_Q Tele-Meister

#7 looks like a Beast!
    Sorry about the finger, but every guitar send to demand a little blood.

Good luck on the project!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

SWEET! snacks.gif

Mr. Freddy likes this.
  6. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone, this forum really got me started building. It is something I have always wanted to do, and wandering here really inspired me to get to doing years ago. Routed for the truss rod and installed, NOT cutting myself this time and being very careful with my setup. The truss rod was cut and welded to fit the short scale neck by my brother in law 6 years ago, as he is the welder in the family. Then I glued “wings” so the headstock template would fit and rough cut it out on the scroll saw. Someday I will get a bandsaw, but this works just fine. I also trimmed the neck tenon that is glued in from the back, using the table saw. Cut the neck shelf in the body and gave it a test fit, all good! Now we are getting somewhere! I have never held one of these, it is a short scale instrument, which helps people with small hands reach tough chords, but i didn’t realize how tiny it really is. It is like a child’s guitar, really funny, like holding a toy!

IMG_2635.jpeg IMG_2636.jpeg IMG_2637.jpeg IMG_2638.jpeg IMG_2639.jpeg IMG_2640.jpeg IMG_2641.jpeg

DonM, trancedental, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  7. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

I already did all these steps and am just playing catch up on the forum, which I had posted on my facebook page. This isn't real time, I let all structural glue joints dry for at least 12 hours. Cut fret slots and glued down board, and then used water putty for fretboard dots. One of my fret slots was off, so I mixed some fingerboard sawdust with wood glue and filled the slot. Recut, radius sanded the board, and installed frets. Now I can start shaping the neck.

IMG_2642.jpeg IMG_2643.jpeg IMG_2644.jpeg IMG_2645.jpeg IMG_2646.jpeg IMG_2647.jpeg IMG_2649.jpeg IMG_2650.jpeg IMG_2651.jpeg IMG_2652.jpeg

DonM, trancedental, Macrogats and 2 others like this.
  8. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Almost all the big jobs are done! Worked on the scoop at the lower end of the body, still have some shaping to do there but it is level now. I also shaped the neck using a spokeshave, rasp, file, and plane. The general shape is dialed in with 1:16th to play with and refine. So the neck goes on with a lot of glue for 12 hours to be sure it will never move again. You may notice the back of the guitar is hollowed out, which gives it a very light weight. Now, on the ‘58 model I am making they did it as I did, a drill press and big forstner bits (at least that is what I have read). In the next iteration they routed it out to make it much cleaner looking on the inside. However, for both historical accuracy and laziness (and the fact that after this nobody will ever see the inside of this guitar again) I will leave it as is. Although, considering I have never even seen one of these in person and will modify the wiring circuit, historical accuracy is clearly a lame excuse. Next the back goes on and this thing will look like a guitar, and many hours of sanding and scraping to the lines await.

IMG_2653.jpeg IMG_2654.jpeg IMG_2655.jpg IMG_2656.jpeg IMG_2657.jpeg IMG_2661.jpeg IMG_2672.jpeg IMG_2673.jpeg

DonM, trancedental, Macrogats and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Just a reference for those interested, Lennon’s guitar to the left, my children’s child sized guitar on the right. They are the same size. Funny stuff.
    IMG_2679.jpeg

DonM, crazydave911 and Jim_in_PA like this.
  10. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Clamped on back with 20 regular wood clamps/18 homemade spool clamps/two long reach. Almost maxed out my clamp collection but it all worked out. Wife took the kids to the playground and gave me some time to fit the tuners, tailpiece, and nut so I could string it up, and it works! It is an odd guitar to play, hard to explain except to say it is very small. I can see how it would be attractive if you don’t like reaching for your chords though. Still have lots of fine shaping to do, make recesses for the pickups, and cut the electronics cavity. Also have to make a pick guard and truss cover. Had to make sure it would actually play before all that, and since I am not working from plans, I am fitting everything like the pickups based on the string path. If I was working from an established set of plans I would feel more confident doing things in an order that makes it more efficient. What I did to get the shape is blow up an image using available dimension information to get the outline, and everything after that was done based on measurements you can easily google and descriptions on forums like this. This is also the first bigsby I have ever strung up, and it is a pain! Any tricks you may have that make it easier please let me know. I am using heavy flatwound 12s so the action isn't floppy. The nut is a zero-glide, which has a slot for a zero fret built in. I really like these for a variety of reasons. This post brings things up to the present.

IMG_2681.jpeg IMG_2682.jpeg IMG_2683.jpeg IMG_2684.jpeg IMG_2685.jpeg IMG_2688.jpeg IMG_2689.jpeg

11. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Thanks!

Bruxist likes this.
  12. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

The 7 is a beast, my father passed me a whole set of planes including a few bedrocks, and it is really great to take the long planes to a neck blank. If you put in the sharpening time it cuts like butter and leaves a pristine surface after a pass or two with the #4 smoothing plane.

Mr_Q likes this.
  13. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

14. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Worked up some spacers to determine where the pickups will sit, 1/2” spacing between pickups. Made a super sophisticated jig to route out the recesses for the pickup magnets and that went just fine. Used the masking tape and superglue trick, look it up if you hate double sided tape. So the pickups are in. Now, working without a plan you will always encounter a problem you need to improvise your way around, and this is one of them. I set my neck .54” above the body based on all the info I could find, but on the outer E strings it is too close to the strings for comfort. My plan is to use a forstner bit to make recesses for the four corner nuts and sink the pickup to its base. More to come, thanks for watching!
    35B1AE31-C1A8-4129-83AF-DCBFAE9272D4.jpeg DEF3165D-5A30-41C5-A60E-4897B0E9C762.jpeg 84731D01-FEF4-41D1-9642-F376D8F01B63.jpeg 6327F602-1856-4108-854D-B2BC76DBC8AA.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    trancedental, Jim_in_PA and lammie200 like this.
  15. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Looks like it is going to work out without drilling, will set it up fully when I wire it up before painting to make sure everything works like it should. Have clear 1/8” acrylic for the pickguard shaped and control holes drilled. This is a slight modification from Lennon’s pickguard, which was traced when it was last repaired. I just reduced the straight side to better fit this build. So now I have to take everything off, rout the control cavity, wire the electronics, make a metal jack plate, test the electronics and do a final setup, take everything off again, file and sand and sand and sand and sand and then finish. And then I can’t touch it for a few weeks while the paint dries. See, I am pretty much done!

7CC53D43-8274-47F1-AAC8-DDE76E9C5DA1.jpeg 43DE0D4A-A5F1-476D-B0B9-43FE59D29485.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

Are you going to use grommets under the pickups corner screws? You could get some extra clearance depth, probably 3-4mm, for your strings over the fretboard that way.

Thats what older vintage era Rickys used before they changed to the modern style pickup underlays. You could probably make those from old mouse pads!

You might need either grommets or underlay to stop pickup vibrations & feedback.

I used ordinary cheap 3mm hole grommets!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  17. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

I have the rubber grommets that came with the pickups, they raise it up a hair. With the screws pegged I have a 1/16” clearance to the low e at the moment. I didn’t account for the loss of height from the radius at the sides of the fretboard, that was my mistake here. Live and learn, we will make it work though.

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Great job so far! Yes, it does feel like a toy - but once you get used to it - there is no other guitar that is going to have 'that sound'. I've got a 325C64 and I love it - yes it's a niche guitar but I play a lot of Beatles and nothing does the early Beatles rhythm sound better. Looking forward to your build.

DonM and Mr. Freddy like this.
  19. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

EF0296F4-1739-4216-986E-91AE26973D68.jpeg Foreshadowing... East Indian rosewood, for that other most famous Beatle guitar....

trancedental likes this.
  20. Mr. Freddy

Mr. Freddy TDPRI Member

Executed the cavity rout with no injuries, and did a test wiring. All works as it should, neat sound! Instead of the stock wiring, which I could not find anyway, I really wanted to be able to use all the pickups while retaining the look of the original. So the three way switch works like a typical tele, neck/bridge/both, and the middle pickup volume turns on the middle pickup in any configuration. This gives me any combination of all three pickups, which was not possible in the original.

BC05BD10-4AE4-44AE-A3E5-254D47DE792C.jpeg BCA545E9-6603-4FB0-B09B-0CF662941DAC.jpeg 80BF09BC-9C16-44E0-A569-2BED886FD91B.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.