30's Philco Radio as parts for DIY amp build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by frederickk, Oct 9, 2019 at 5:30 PM.

1. frederickk

frederickk TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I recently came into possession of an old Philco radio (Model 39-25 from ~1939). It definitely has seen much better days and I have no interested in restoring it. I was hoping I could harvest parts (transformer, tube sockets, chassis) for a DIY 5F1 Champ build.

Below are some gut shots, as you can see it's a little rough. The covering on the transformer wires was breaking off (I tried to get a close-up), but would it still be a viable amp transformer anyway? Are the Philco parts of good quality? Or should I just stick to the plan of sourcing parts new?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20191002_085407.jpg IMG_20191002_085346.jpg IMG_20190928_133119.jpg

Ken

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Now, that is point-to-point.

3. mndean

mndean Tele-Meister

Don't think you'll find much usable here. What you can harvest is pretty limited. You get only one octal socket and a PT which you'll have to solder new wires to if it works, and you'll have to test what voltages it puts out, though it might be okay considering the power tube it drives. It could be worth something to a person who restores Philcos for some usable parts, but not very good for a Champ build.

4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

What is the tube compliment?

If it has oddball tubes like a 50R4 it may not have a Power Transformer. In this case, you'll want to get a power transformer and almost only the output transformer may be useful.

If it does have a power transformer, it is intended to be used with 115VAC and if you give it a more modern 123-ishVAC then you will get rather high plate and filament voltages. I recently thought I might salvage a similar transformer, but the heater winding was putting out almost 9 volts!

5. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

6. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Check out the many YouTube guys who transform things into amps. They often start with radios, cabinets and chassis both, but often use just the cabinet and/or just the chassis. Lots of incompatibility and grounding issues 'tween radio guts and amp innards. Be careful!

These gents do talented and interesting conversions:

D-Lab
    https://www.youtube.com/user/dlab500

Buzz1151
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Buzz1151

The Guitologist (if you can stand/ignore his politicking)
    https://www.youtube.com/user/electrictoothsyndrom/videos

7. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

At best, you have a chassis, tube sockets, PT, OT, and knobs. Resistors and caps will be useless, they just aren’t stable from when that was built. NOS pre-war resistors are only sold for jewelry anymore.

8. frederickk

frederickk TDPRI Member

You've confirmed my suspicions, I'll look to salvage the chassis and maybe the sockets. I'l pull out the transformers to assess their condition more closely, but with the notion that I'll need to source new transformers for my Champ build.

I'll also poke around on some of the Philco forums to see if there's interest in what's left, unless someone on here is interested in the bits I don't use, PM me.

Thank you all.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.