3 Week Road Trip up Hwy 1 / US 101

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rustbucket, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My family and I just got back from a much needed vacation. We've had a lot of stress lately between the move back to Arizona, a custody battle over my children and my wife's pending Immigration status to the US. So we decided to take a slow road trip up the west coast from San Diego all the way to the Olympic Peninsula, taking the Pacific Coast Highway 1 or US 101 wherever possible.

We purposely made no schedule or advance reservations, just loaded up my F150 and went. We saw beaches, cities and Redwood forests. Unfortunately we also saw a lot of wildfire smoke. We did a mix of camping, hotels and several nights at a family cabin near Point Reyes. I spent an evening jamming with my younger cousin and got to see the sailboat he's took 3 years to build. I was lucky enough to visit both of my Grandmothers (84 and 99 years old). We spent 18 days on the way up and 3 days back as we ran out of time. It didn't rain the entire time, yet was raining when I got back to Phoenix...go figure.

My kids are great travelers and have fun wherever they go. It was a fantastic trip overall and a great way to forget about life for awhile. I highly recommend doing it sometime if you are a road/travel enthusiast and have the time.

I'm posting some pics for those interested. I choose not to show my kids faces to random people on the internet. I'll let them embarrass themselves online when they get older. :rolleyes:

San Diego area:
    San Diego Hotel.jpg

San Diego.jpg

Big Sur:
    Big Sur.jpg

A foggy day at the Golden Gate Bridge (Imagine that...:lol:)
    Golden Gate.jpg

2. Rustbucket

Tomales Bay, below my grandmother's cabin in Inverness, CA. Much warmer here :cool::
    Tomales Bay.jpg

Mendocino, CA area. This was probably my favorite spot on the entire coast as you had redwoods, cliffs and beaches all intersecting in one location:
    Mendocino.jpg
    Mendocino 3.jpg

A 3 hour road closure north of Eureka due to an emergency rockslide repair. We made the most of it by setting up a tailgate and even broke out my beater acoustic for a set. The construction workers loved us!:D
    Hwy Closure.jpg

Camping on the Chetco River in Southwestern Oregon. We spent 2 nights here. The water looks green due to the camera angle and moss on the bottom, but was surprisingly clear when swimming:
    Chetco River.jpg

3. Rustbucket

Spent another 3 days on the Oregon Coast, visiting Newport, Lincoln City and this nice stretch north of Cape Kiwanda. It's a beautiful coastline:
    Oregon Coast.jpg

Lake Crescent in Olympic National Park. The water was clear enough to see 30-50 feet down and we enjoyed riding our bikes on the old railroad trail:
    Crescent Lake.jpg
    Crescent Tunnel.jpg

Finally made it up to the tip of the peninsula to Port Angeles, WA. We could see Vancouver Island in the distance. We made it, but were out of time so we had to head home unfortunately. :(
    Port Angeles.jpg

Took the inland route on the way home to save some time. This is from the last night of the vacation showing my son the lights of Vegas from the room after dinner and a walk up and down the Strip:
    Vegas.jpg

4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, a memorable trip for the family. One that the kids will never forget. I've done that west coast shoreline trip, once by motorcycle and twice by car. So much to look at and I love all your great photos. Summer thread galore! Thanks

Obsessed and Rustbucket like this.
  5. Rustbucket

Thanks, Dented! Yes, it was amazing.

dented likes this.
  6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That was a wonderful trip. Amazing places. Inverness, Tomales Bay, Mendocino, Oregon Coast, ……travel with your children to some of the best and most interesting parts of the USA, and gifting them with memories.

Rustbucket likes this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Great idea! I’m ready to hit the road soon.

boris bubbanov, dented and Rustbucket like this.
  8. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a blast.

Rustbucket likes this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You didn’t mention the Trees of Mystery. Surely, you did stop for that?

drlucky and Rustbucket like this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, like @dented, i did this same trip on my ‘59 Harley just after a divorce. A non forgettable, mind clearing journey. You and your lovely family will remember this forever. Mendocino is my favorite spot too. Thanks for sharing and reminding me about what is important in life.

11. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

What a wonder filled adventure for you and the family. Been up and down the entire west coast a few times over the decades. Absolutely love all of it, but for moi, the crown jewels are Rialito and Shi Shi beaches in WA. They are like stepping back in time a few thousand years; so wild and primitive. Been there when we were the only folks on the beach. Need to get out there. Its only about a 6 hour jaunt.

Rustbucket likes this.
  12. Laxy picker

Laxy picker TDPRI Member

What a epic trip and a good dad!

Rustbucket likes this.
  13. Rustbucket

Did you mean the Drive Thru Redwood trees? We did go to that park in Leggit, but after watching a lady rip her passenger side mirror off her Explorer, I chose not to try to navigate my truck through.

Torren61 likes this.
  14. Rustbucket

Thanks for the tip. I would have liked to explore that stretch of coast as well, but unfortunately, we started running out of days by then. I have a set amount of summer vacation days with my kids at this point in life. One day!

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

so glad you had a nice trip with the fam! road trips are the best... and runnin up 1 and 101 have some of my favorite places!

drlucky and Rustbucket like this.
  16. Torren61

Noooo! You missed it? You drove right by it.

https://treesofmystery.net/

17. Rustbucket

That looks awesome, and I do remember seeing the sign for that! We ended up sitting for 3 hours at the roadway closure just north of there anyway so should have stopped. Next time!

Torren61 likes this.
  18. Torren61

Don't show your kids that. They're gonna be so mad... There's a guy that sits in the head of the Paul Bunyan figure and talks to people. He's quick, clever and hilarious.

4AF3658F-5E96-49E9-960A-03142412053F.jpeg

19. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

That is so nice!! So much to see up 101. I also did the same up 395 one year. 3 weeks off. No reservations. Tent and camp equip. Did stay at lodging a couple times too. From Lone Pines to Mono lake. Time to explore with my then 12 year old son. We did hike up Whitney trail to base camp, 11000 feet. Was in shorts @9000. Was rain/sleet and cold @11000! Wasn't prepared for that!

Rustbucket likes this.
  20. Rustbucket

Very cool. I will have to check out 395 when I get the chance. Another road you can follow it all the way to the border then explore into the Canadian Rockies to the north.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.