1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 way vs 4 way switch

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hippieway, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Afflicted

I like the series position when we're jammin' hard on a solo section. I (rhythm player) sometimes get a little buried by the lead player. I'm on position 2 (both parallel) on most of the loud rockers so when volume knob is max and I need a little more I flip up to position 4 (both series) and rock on.:cool:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  2. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, I've run it to that a few times..

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Probably not very flattering with 250k pots. I run 500k volume with a 'no load' tone control. The series position sounds amazing even with my 'overwound' single coils. The setup I use accentuates the pickup's resonant frequency more, with the pots wide open on '10,' so it has a bit more character, doesn't sound quite as dull or flat than 250k pots.

4. KB11

KB11 TDPRI Member

Don't like the series sound at all, no interest in a 4 way.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You can also use the 4 way to introduce some out of phase or half out of phase, or to get that "Johnny Cash" sound with the pickup held down by a resistor or a cap and resistor on that circuit only.

One of the hurdles you have to get over with many neck pickups is, you need to cut the jumper that adds the cover to the ground, and set up a separate lead. If the neck and bridge pickups are RWRP towards one another, you go from 1 position to 2 that are 60 cycle noise canceling and that's some nice versatility. Remember the Series position is your Afterburner position and this is when the 60 cycle noise tends to be most obnoxious. If you're yearning to go back to some HB guitar because of noise, the Series position with RWRP pickups is a great antidote.

Doghouse_Riley and caliban335 like this.
  6. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

I agree with the "no brainer" crowd. It's a completely reversible mod if you decide it doesn't work for you and for the rest of us it adds a very useful fourth sound into the standard Tele mix.

branbolio likes this.
  7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like the wiring on one of my Teles, it has a 3-way switch plus a push/pull to activate both series mode and half-out-of-phase. The other has a 4-way switch which I find harder to accurately switch to the position I want mid-song.

[​IMG]

branbolio likes this.
  8. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I don't find series that useful. It is very bassy and boomy, unless you have the amp's treble and presence turned up, which doesn't work with the other positions.

What I would like is for the 4th position to bypass the volume knob - make it like a boost pedal, where you can easily switch from normal, to ear-splitting, then right back where you came from.

branbolio likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I put the four way switch on my main Telecaster several years ago. Very useful mod, at least for me. I don't experience an overly "boomy" output, so it may be the pickup configuration (neck position P90), the values of the volume and tone pots (Lord only knows) and my picking technique.

I also put a Fender No-Load Tone Pot on there...if you crank it all the way, it takes the tone pot out of the mix entirely, just the pickup(s) straight to the cable.

I highly recommend both mods...

branbolio likes this.
  10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You can attenuate some of the bass in the 4th position with a capacitor.

I don't think the scheme you desire is possible with a 2-pole 4 way switch. But is probably doable with a 4-pole, 5-position super switch.

branbolio likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

actually the only reason to add a 4 way is so the 4th position gives you a more Humbucker like sound... adding the Humbucker is redundant... I regularly recommend it to guys that want the Humbucker... unless ya just want that look, there's no real reason to go to the added expense...

Add the Humbucker, you're ringing up another at least 100 bux... probably more depending on which pup ya choose.. however the 4 way is No charge... should make it pretty easy to decide.. unless you're into Keef fashion..

rk

branbolio likes this.
  12. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Hey man can you please tell me more about this wiring and repost a link to the schematic diagram?

This looks like a great wiring layout and I’ve never seen it before. Are you still using it?

13. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

Curious what’s the Johnny Cash sound?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.