3 way switching to two outputs

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Gaz_, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Morning all,
    I recently read this thread and thought it was a solution to my problem.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/playi...s-on-one-same-guitar-at-the-same-time.964186/

The idea is making a two pole pickup on a separate circuit so that it can be picked up with an octave pedal and act as the bass in a band.

So, armed with the parts scattered around the house, and my first guitar, I created this...

cropped.png IMG-20200109-WA0000.jpeg
    It's currently two completely separate circuits. HSH into a 5 way, then a volume, into the strat output. And a 2 pole single coil (mounted like an offset humbucker) into a volume, and then a jack mounted in the second tone spot.

I want to add a switch so you can turn off the bass, or the guitar, for bass fills or guitar riffs etc. I was planning on doing this with two toggle switches, so you can turn them off and on individually. BUT I don't have any in stock. I do have a cheap chinese 3 way tele switch.

So I was wondering, is there a way to get this

Switch position 1 - Guitar Output
    Switch Position 2 - Both Output
    Switch Position 3 - Bass Output

The separate outputs is the problem in my mind. Anyone done anything like this?

Cheers
    Gaz

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

I think - if you're wanting both circuits to combine / mix - you'll need a little preamp/mixer circuit in there, dead easy to make but then it requires battery power.
    Couldn't you setup the switch to cut the output from the guitar ?

Switch position 1 - Guitar Output - Bass Cut
    Switch Position 2 - Both Output - No Cut
    Switch Position 3 - Bass Output - Guitar Cut.

Very cool mod, though. I love seeing this kind of unique, personal customisation. That 2-pole p/Up is great :D

3. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

Or just P/Up on-off switches - push/pull or push/push pots ?

4. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Hi Norris, thanks for getting back to me. The two coil pickup is such a bodge! Took the ceramic magnet off the back and hit the poles with a hammer! But... it works.

We've ended up with a band with a drummer and three guitarists. The best guitarist ended up on bass because he is the best of us musically and just picks things up better. This seemed like a waste, so I thought with this mod, he'd be able to play both. And it works, just needs a dead switch.

I've managed to scrounge a couple of plastic toggle switches so I'll just fit one in each circuit, before the outputs. I need to keep the outputs separate so that the guitar can go to a guitar amp, and the bass can go to a bass amp after the octave pedal.

If we end up using it properly, I'll hardtail the bridge, and use the spring route on the back to build in an analog octave circuit before the bass output. Keep it nice and simple then.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

if the two are going to separate outputs... this shouldn't be a problem. just wire your live for either to either side of the 3 way switch... then the tabs for live connections to further circuitry. to actually have both going to the sm output would require a buffer but I assume that would defeat your orig purpose anyway.
    hope that helps.

6. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

delete reply - I didn't understand what you were trying to do.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  7. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning TDPRI Member

[​IMG] just the job!! It worked for Dr. Frankenstein

I_build_my_own likes this.
  8. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Just use your Tele 3-way switch to ground the output you want OFF.

IE:
    FWD (normal neck position) = bass = ground guitar output
    Middle = both on = ground nothing
    Back (normal bridge position) = guitar = ground bass output

This way basically uses a 3-way switch as a 2 way kill switch. Grounding the output turns off the output while keeping the connected amp from making undesirable noises.

That's how I would approach this.

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My avatar guitar has a stereo jack running acoustic piezo's under the bridge on one side and the regular pickup's on the other. I use a 1 - stereo to 2 - mono Y cable to 2 amps or different channels of a tube amp(Hi/Low).

10. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

That is basically what the OP is doing. The middle pickup has its own output jack going to an octave down pedal and then to a dedicated amp.

A mute switch for each amp would also do the job, but may be much harder to keep track of during a performance than a simple 3-way switch.

Gaz_ likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Since both channels of my stereo jack are active at all times, I just use my volume knobs to cancel or blend a mix instead of a switch.

The more complex your system - the harder to work on stage. A mute for each would/could get complicated, another switch can be a problem for some. Could try a blend knob.

12. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

This is what we ended up with, it works for the purpose.
    IMG-20200113-WA0000.jpeg
    Like suggested, it does get a little confusing to turn one on/off during a song. So the mute switches have only really been used for intros etc. What I do enjoy is watching the best guitarist I know have that little confused face as he's dying to put a little lick over a section but stretching to maintain a bass note. It's LOVELY.

Another treat is the guitarist is a twin, called Tony, his twin brother is a bassist called Andy (sadly Andy can't be in the project). So, the "Tone" knob turns up the guitar and the "Andy" knob turns up the bass.

A three way switch would be better, but sadly it's not a project I can take on because the Twinmaster Deluxe is locked down with the guitarist. Fingers crossed he'll have mastered it by the time practise rooms open!

Cheers for the help everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.