3 way switch question/diagram help please

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Chordophonic, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

So I'm putting together a Partscater, but being cheap Im using parts I already have. The guitar will be 3 pickup ala Strat, I have a spare Tele 3 position switch, can it be wired to give, Bridge, Middle and Middle and Neck? with 2 tones ala Strat. If it is possible a diagram or link to one would be fab!

Thank you!

Paul

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Chordophonic

Still wading through the above but cant find what I am looking for.....fab link though!

Paul

4. Chordophonic

The sounds I use the most are bridge only or in between neck and middle, so am looking for a way to achieve this, other positions are of no use to me! I have been reminded that the original Strat had a 3 way but that would mean trying to wedge the switch in the in-between position…………..Is there a solution with a 3 way?

5. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Tele-Meister

How bout a 4 position toggle switch

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I drew the tone pots in the wrong order, but just feed the tone pot you want from the pickup lead you want.

[​IMG]

7. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Someone else can probably say why it won't work, but if you have the three pickups going to positions 1 (neck), 2 (middle) and 3 (bridge) on side one of your selector switch (and the output from position 4), perhaps a wire from position 2 (middle pickup connection) to position 3 (as in, the position the selector engages with on the other side when you have it in bridge position) on side two of the switch would do it (along with a wire from position 1 (side two) to position 4 (side one) for the output from that side. I hope that makes sense - I can't draw it on this computer.
    It might, on the other hand, just give you bridge and middle in both positions 2 and 3.
    A drawing would really make that easy to show, sorry...

8. Chordophonic

Thanks folks!

Paul

9. Chordophonic

So, Ive followed the diagram above and it works! with a small reservation, It selects the pickups as I want, Bridge, middle, middle and neck, the tone nearest the volume appears to work on the middle pickup, but the second tone doesn't appear to do anything, this is scientifically tested by tapping each pickup!

How could I modify the wiring so the first tone works on the neck and the second tone works on the middle?

waparker4 thanks for the diagram!
    Cheers!

Paul

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.