3-way switch Esquire different than Tele?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tele salivas, Sep 5, 2015.

1. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I am returning my Telecaster to its original state after being in Esquire mode (with cocked wah position) for the last 3 years.

I am rewiring everything using the RS Guitarworks Esquire w/Cocked Wah switch and harness and I got it all wired and soldered like I thought it was supposed to, but while I get the middle position and neck pickup sounds, which are glorious to have again on the Tele, the switch's bridge position puts out the neck pickup signal. I have neck pickup sound coming from both the "bridge" and "neck" switch positions.

I thought about getting another switch cause I made such a soldery mess of the one I got, but it works just fine. I thought maybe, just maybe it is something I am doing (most likely user fault!) but maybe there is some small little thing in the switch design that is different between Esquires and Telecasters?

Any help would be really appreciated!

2. brewsterallen

brewsterallen Tele-Meister

It would appear to me that the wiring on the switch isn't correct. Without actually seeing where the leads land, or what tabs on the switch are wired. Diagnosing would be very difficult. The Strat/Tele switch is counter intuitive even to a technician. The tab for the neck pickup is toward the rear of the switch, while the bridge tab is forward. Check your wiring at the switch.

3. tele salivas

Oh yeah, I know the wiring at the switch is wrong somewhere, everything else on the jack, the pots the cap, all that is good cause I am getting the signal for both pickups. My main concern is the so called "permanent" solder points that the switch came with. I guess that would be a better way of putting it. Are those permanent (which are easy to de-solder) connections different on Telecasters and Esquires?

4. tele salivas

Just got a pm that Tele and Esquires use the same 3-way switch, so now I jsut got to chase why my bridge pickup is not catching fire in that position., but the middle and neck positions are functioning perfectly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.