1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3-way- switch 2 single coil 1 vol 1 tone push/pull wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HeiA, Jan 18, 2021.

1. HeiA

HeiA TDPRI Member

This is getting so complex- I’m loving it

So to recap:
    50s wiring will satisfy my treble retention while raising or lowering my volume,
    Instead of a treble bleed which has a weirder curve, right? Also with the 50s wiring, I can control what kind of frequency will be retained when I lower the volume by turning the tone knob to its respective position (in terms of frequency), am I getting this right?

so last question- those Chinese 3- way levers are different from the fender ones in that they don’t have their pins left and right but in one row instead- and I’m having trouble making out what wiring I actually have right now

what would the wiring in the picture I send here translate to in schematic drawing?

Attached Files:

2. HeiA

HeiA TDPRI Member

image.jpg image.jpg

3. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

The curve with 50's wiring is pretty weird when both tone and volume are turned down. I don't know what you think is weird about the treble bleed curve but it can be tuned very carefully, and doesn't get weird with different combinations of volume and tone levels.

This is what I mean by the weird curve of 50's wiring: Each color is a volume level, and each pair of traces in each color is tone turned all the way down in 50s mode and normal mode.

50sTone-tonewaydown.png

With tone turned all the way up, the difference isn't as drastic. In this image, the higher trace in each pair is the 50's tone and the lower trace in each pair is with a normally-wired tone circuit. (The blue pair looks like just one trace because it's the same at full volume.)

50sTone-tonefullup.png

The 50s wiring option isn't magic. It doesn't simply keep your tone the same while volume is turned down. It doesn't even shape the tone-control roll-off the same way as the modern wiring at any volume level under 100%, and very different from a treble bleed. Some players like it. Some players don't want either one.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    moosie and HeiA like this.
  4. HeiA

HeiA TDPRI Member

Wow, that is super helpful, maximum respect for the huge amount of effort you put in.
    Although I’m having trouble translating those diagrams into simple man words like I need- I’ll have to study and imagine those curves in sonic action for a bit longer, I guess

ultimately, I’ll just have to try

so for now, I just have to figure out what cables I have to solder what to, and still figuring out that push/push pot options I can combine with it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.