3 Stringer Build Completed

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
As I mentioned a few weeks ago in my thread on getting a Worx BladeRunner saw, I started a solid body 3 stringer build using it. I had carved the neck, 24 3/4" scale in oak, about 4 years ago and never got around to fretting it and using it in a cigar box build. The design is neck-thru with pine wings and a 1/8" birch veneer. The tuners, bridge and flat humbucker pickup were from MGB Guitars, a good source for cigar box guitar parts. The brass control plate cover and such were cut from discarded tile I bought at a garage sale a while ago.

The finish is layered with Varathane Charred Wood Accelerator below Vintage Aqua stain. The neck has a Mission Oak stain darkened and aged with the charred wood accelerator.

Some lessons learned. (1) The reverse neck isn't my favorite, that's probably why I didn't use this neck before. (2) I could have probably made this a 4 stringer if I had redone the headstock. (3) Both the humbucker and bridge needed to be raised up. I should have measured this better. (4) Kitchen backsplash tile works well for control and cover plates in this "guitar from scraps" context. (5) I need to work on improving my process and skills at fretting more. (6) I need more practice at drawing out a body template and cutting it. It's not like building a CBG box with all square cuts.

Here it is. I'll be posting some sound samples later.

20220821_133348.jpg

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah, I made my first 27" scale and only 3 string, always regretted that. It did what it did fabulous (Man of Constant Sorrow etc) but could have been SO much more flexible with another string. And like you, I had room 🙄

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
That is cool! It sounds exactly like it looks! Love the finish by the way, and the cutaway shape.

I could be convinced it was an early Russian/Eastern European instrument. I really dig it, and it sounds good too.

Zepfan

Doctor of Teleocity
Going through my emails and saw that Stewmac is now selling Cigar Box Guitar kits for $100.
CBGitty. com has several kits from $90 up to $150.
Easy kit builds that are fun to build and easy for kids to learn on. The Stemac kit is a 3 string and the CBGitty kits come in 3 string or 4 string.