1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 saddles or 6?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by xglitterati, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Tele-Meister

Just saw this - PRS has a 2 saddle bridge on their new S2 Vela model:

[​IMG]

2. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Here's a better picture of the bridge.

[​IMG]

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Has Paul been reading our posts?

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If Mr. Smith combined my basic 2 saddle architecture with Mr. Rutter's eccentric slots, it could really intonate nice. Otherwise, it is just fashionably close to intonated, IMO. :)

5. Super Locrian

Well, intonation on an electric guitar is always a compromise. Even if the 12th fret is perfectly intonated, the rest of the fret locations will be slightly out of tune to varying degrees. Go ahead and intonate your guitar perfectly (at the 12th fret) with a strobe tuner, and then play a note on a different fret, still with the strobe tuner engaged. You will find that it is not perfectly in tune, and the same goes for most of the other fret locations as well.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Resist the urge...

7. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

I have a Callaham bridge on USA Custom Tele Custom and couldn't be happier. The guitar can do anything. Rock, blues, gospel, or jazz, it seems capable. I don't play country. It has sufficient twang but to me it will do what I need it to do. I've loaned it to a friend who is much better than I am for some performances and he brings out things I am incapable of doing. It makes me love it all the more knowing that deep down inside this guitar resides tones and sounds I will one day tap into.

Its more than the bridge (although the bridge is very important) but in terms of playing and tone, it is the most enjoyable guitar I've ever had in my hands.

8. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Prefer compensated 3 saddle. If intonation is off, will switch to a six saddle bridge. Have used both in the past.

9. boris bubbanov

Oh, absolutely.

I'm referring more to getting pretty close to what the 6 saddle people brag about. I would say based on my experiments, the 2 barrel design will be inferior to a 3 barrel design UNLESS it has some eccentricity, either a cammed area, a faceted area, or eccentric slots (at least 2).

10. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

11. Super Locrian

Yes, that Makes sense.

12. boris bubbanov

The other disadvantage with the 2 barrel design is the guys who use a wound G string. I hate to put them in a box, but there's no solution I know of if the G is wound. They need 3 saddles or said differently, every 2 barrel design I've done or seen, would be unsatisfactory for a player who prefers a wound G. That in a nutshell is the 2 barrel design's Achilles Heel.

I know what it was like when I looked and looked and could never find a new affordable guitar with a truly fat neck. I know how being left out feels, not fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.