3-saddle bridge question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by johmica, Sep 19, 2020.

1. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

My first guitar was an old Fender Musicmaster. It had a funky old three-saddle bridge, and the saddles were made out of what I can best describe as all-thread.

That guitar is long gone, but I woke up this morning wondering two things: 1) Did '70s-era telecasters ever come stock with those saddles, and 2) how do they affect tone?

It seems that, depending on the string gauge, the guitar would less-than-ideal contact between the strings and the saddles, creating buzz or muffling issues. Is this true?

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

These?

upload_2020-9-19_10-55-51.jpeg

I’m not sure of the era, but yeah they were common at one time. Fender still sells the saddles so I upgraded mine to these. I had brass saddles before. They are threaded steel and the steel is a tad brighter than brass.

Not a dramatic change, but this Tele was a bit duller sounding than my other one and these narrowed the gap.

johmica likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Not necessarily as the result of the shape of the string groove in each saddle--because the string contacts the saddle at only two points:

[​IMG]

johmica likes this.
  4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I think every era has had threaded steel saddles. Set up right they sound as good as any other style of bridge. There might be fine details that people prefer to change, but plenty of great music has been played with them as is.

johmica likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like them - the height adjustment posts tend to sit high and people complain about it scratching their hand, but they don’t bother me. I really like that you can precisely adjust the string spacing by moving a string one thread to the left or right.

No issues with muffled or buzzing strings.

johmica likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.