1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 saddle bridge, or 6 saddle bridge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by zekester, Oct 29, 2020.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I dislike the 6 barrel bridge. On a California series tele I once had, the height adjustment screws were poorly machined and tended to loosen over time creating a buzz. I remember some players using Loctite on them...

I prefer 3 saddles. As well as moving the saddles forward and back for intonation, small adjustments in saddle height can also help to fine tune them.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Thank you, RFJ, for posting about your conversion. I think it looks much improved - I think the scariest thing is getting the American Series long bridge off of there without disturbing the poly finish - when I tried to convert the last of 4 of these, a whole segment of the clear finish over the sunburst came adrift.

Did you try measure the amount of weight change? The yellow pot metal stock bridge, is a heavy one.

+

I'll try one of these, eventually. But I've modded a typical AV52 style bridge, and I felt like the through holes being so high up the body, interfered with really hiking the saddle up really high and the result, while better than stock, still was not equivalent to what you'd get with a No-Caster or MIM Baja, etc.

3. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

For now and from this day forward the answer is always three saddles..................

4. Kris 1111

Kris 1111 TDPRI Member

Tell that to Brent Mason

5. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use the Babicz full contact bridges on many of my teles. (6 saddles.) Perfect intonation and marvelous sustain. They work string-thru or top loader. Worth every penny.

[​IMG]

Sorry - iphone pic.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I dont even need compensated 3 saddles. Either I dont have a problem with my style , or Im deaf ...

As long as I can play the Little Wing intro without anyones hair falling off , I can live with 3 saddles

bls82261 and Bedroom Thrasher like this.
  7. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Tele-Meister

I had the 6-saddle MIM bridge on my player series (Nathalie). I wanted the ashtray experience so I swapped out the bridge for a 6-barrel fender ashtray, which was a direct swap.
    Yes it’s true that occasionally the barrels rattle against each other but careful tweaking of the action screws usually eliminates that. It’s fiddly, but hey isn’t that part of the fun

D058DD55-3D1A-4629-BF5F-B8307F7E819B.jpeg

LutherBurger likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Now that's interesting. I had one of those bridges and didn't like it at all.

I like bridges with three compensated saddles because they're so easy to set up (half the number of screws to turn -- yes, I'm that lazy :)), but I prefer the feel of the modern 6-saddle bridge under my hand.

bls82261, Cyberi4n and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. boris bubbanov

I agree with Luther. His luthier skills probably surpass mine, but I made a real effort to make the 6 hammer saddle bridges work (as I had 4 guitars with them stock).

Fiddly is the understatement of the century. And I use a heavier than average string gauge, which should keep the saddles cemented to the plate. But the action of playing the guitar changes the amount of downforce on the saddles, and the load is lifted off of one of the two height screws and the screw rotates. And that means one misbehaving saddle is now leaning hard against its neighbor. It doesn't take long, maybe three steady hours of playing 4 days in a row and the collection of saddles have fallen over like dominoes.

If you don't mind doing a fresh triage of your bridge every 10 hours of playing, then maybe this bridge is for you. My suggestion is, the Esquire and Tele are supposed to be capable of passing the "Keef Richards Test". If your guitar is knocked out of whack when a butterfly lands on it, you haven't got a Telecaster. You have wall art.

Cyberi4n, your guitar looks amazing. But it doesn't look played. Even when I have just completed another new T style project, it doesn't look like this. Because it has to be played in to be "complete" and playing makes 'em dirty.

Cyberi4n likes this.
  10. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a 97 California Series Fat tele exactly like yours. I put a traditional three saddle bridge on with Fender compensated brass saddles. That's the way to go. Looked, played, and sounded wonderful. Punchy guitar.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  11. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus Tele-Meister

No issues removing the bridge other than a small strip of double sided tape holding the bridge onto the body. Steady slow lifting upward enabled me to separate the bridge from the body.
    Yes, the original bridge was heavy.
    The string angle off the lower part of the barrel towards the ferrules is much steeper than a traditional Tele bridge, but no performance issues as of yet.
    AB823831-A006-4F9E-88FE-6CF611B50DE5.jpeg

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. BillyMays

BillyMays TDPRI Member

My USA Cabronita has a Hardtail Strat bridge, which I believe is the best. One of the reasons why I fell in love with it.

13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I slightly prefer 6 saddle, but I have not replaced the one that I have on my Squier CV Thinline. I might, if I can find a simple drop in replacement.

14. boris bubbanov

Anacharsis, this is a direct drop in replacement for your CV Thinline:

[​IMG]

$ 26 each, for these at Darren Riley in Raleigh, NC.

It should fit fine but personally I wouldn't prefer it. Gonna be heavier, but this is not high quality brass like the Gotoh GTC. Those Gotohs cost more, and weigh an astounding 8 ounces.
    Both these choices should change the voice of the guitar some.

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My Teles can fully equipped with modern bridges. Teles with 6 blocks, each on a screw
    I don't have an opinion on whether one is better than the other, that's a theological topic and I don't do theology, I play slide guitar and make noise, that's about it.
    2 dragons.jpg

LutherBurger likes this.
  16. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Don't have that problem with any of mine.

17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I have both and I use Jerry Douglass method for intonations the three saddle and I like that better than the six saddles. you can get really close to perfect intonation with that method.

18. boris bubbanov

Oh, it isn't a big deal at all. Maybe I shouldn't regard it as a "problem" just a sort of quirk.

I need to get on one of these image hosting services. An image would show you what I mean - it could well be some images of mine from Photobucket are still out there.

gmann likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.