3 pickup Pickguard for American Deluxe Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bammgamm, Mar 24, 2020 at 2:05 PM.

1. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

Hi.

I'm trying to turn my American Deluxe tele into a Nashville style, with 3 pickups. I got a Nashville set of Micro-coil pickups from Bill Lawrence to replace the N3s. The Deluxe already has a route for a middle pickup. However, I already made a wrong purchase regarding the pickguard which didn't fit. I just wanted to get input from you guys if you know of a 3 pickup pickguard or pickguard manufacturer that would fit perfectly in the Am deluxe routes.

Thank you very much!!!

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a similar concern when I decided to swap my American Deluxe Strat's stock pickguard for an anodized gold one. Darren Riley has pretty much any Fender part you could want, and he was very helpful in getting me the right pickguard. Shoot him an email and he should be able to let you know, at least if Fender sells one that'll do you.

https://darrenriley.com/

mjstamos likes this.
  3. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

I got mine on Ebay. Some minor fitting and it’s good to go.
    Bob DB3F6085-ADEC-44EB-B022-FEA5301FFD22.jpeg

Macrogats likes this.
  4. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

You don't say how it "didn't fit", which makes it harder to make a recommendation. However, I did a similar operation on my American Deluxe Tele. Years ago a put Strat pickups in the neck and middle position and a Bill Lawrence in the bridge. I think I bought the pickguard, which was cut specifically for Strat pickups, on eBay, but it's been so long I don't remember exactly, except that it fit with no problem.

A few months ago I bought a set of Fender Twisted Tele pickups, and the "real" Tele neck pickup needed me to get a new pickguard, which I also go on eBay. Here's that listing:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=362792084708

Fit perfectly. If your Bill Lawrence neck pickup is the same size as a standard Tele pickup, it should fit yours, too. The seller has a pearloid one, too.

5. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

Real pretty. I like that color. Mine is a cherryburst.

6. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

I tried to actually ask the seller before and he said it probably won't fit. So I sent him a picture with a tape measure.

7. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

I don't understand you. You tried to ask what seller? Are you saying you just happened to approach the same seller I bought from? That's quite a coincidence! I don't know why it wouldn't fit. It's a Telecaster - most Telecaster pickguards are the same size. It's an American Deluxe, routed for a Nashville pickup configuration just like mine. Mine fit perfectly. Here's the route in my body.

You still didn't say how your first attempt "didn't fit". The pickup holes were wrong? The screw holes were in the wrong place? The pickguard was shaped like the Easter Bunny?

[​IMG]

8. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

Yeah, it's the same seller from ebay that you referred me too. What a coincidence.

The one the didn't fit had the pickup holes all wrong. The screw holes themselves are fine.

9. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

My fitting was around the control plate. Took about .050” off around the radius and it’s perfect.

Bob

10. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

What did you use to take off material from the pickguard? I'm hoping I won't need to buy a new tool.

11. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

I have the big brother of a Dremel. That’s cheating I know.
    It could be done with a half round file with a bit of patience.

Bob

12. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

That's odd, because mine fit perfectly in every way, no modification needed. It's possible that your pickups might be slightly larger than regulation size, which might require you to enlarge the holes a tiny bit, but if they were "all wrong" as you say, I'd say the thing is defective and you should have the seller replace it or refund your money.

Well, one modification - it came with no screw holes for the neck pickup, even though the picture show them. I understand why - it's in case you want to install the pickup on the guitar body rather than suspend them on the pickguard. It was simple enough to drill my own holes.

This shouldn't be such an ordeal. Nashville-style pickguards are common as dirt and, except maybe for screw placement, should be interchangeable.

13. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

Even a bit of sandpaper. The holes can't be that far off, can they?

14. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I recently bought a Nashville telecaster pickguard from Stratosphere parts it was $9.99, it's on an American body that I still need to buy a neck for. There is a picture of it on another thread about the selector switch wiring, you could probably contact them as they probably have some telecaster bodies to test fit:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/rewiring-nashville-5-way-pickup-switch-options-suggestions.1014736/

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-b...r-pickguard-for-fender-usa-tele-1-ply-8-hole/

15. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

Thanks. I took the chance and bought it.

16. bammgamm

bammgamm TDPRI Member

Cool. I'm planning on getting the free-way 10 way switch for this project for ultimate versatility.

https://motorcityguitar.com/product...selector-switch-5b5-01?variant=28497341055042

17. rednoise

rednoise TDPRI Member

I didn't know there was a blade-style Free-Way switch. I put a 6-position Gibson-style Free-Way switch in my PRS CE-24, replacing the broken and heinous rotary switch it came with. I was a little worried that the switch might be fragile, but it's been almost 4 years now and it still works fine and is very functional. 10 positions would be overkill for me, but it's cool that they are available.

18. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 TDPRI Member

It wasn’t the holes, it was the cutout for the control plate.
    The radius was off a tad.

Bob

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.