1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 out of 3 bad guitars from Reverb

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DugT, Jan 21, 2021.

1. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

don't forget that there a lot of dumb forks out there in the world and maybe they really don't know the difference (well, some of them for sure)

jvin248 likes this.
  2. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I've bought many items on Reverb, from pedals and accessories to guitars. Never a problem. The only time an item wasn't in the condition described was a guitar which turned out to be better than the seller described.

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Well, that stinks. Hasn't been my experience on Reverb.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

That's a bit simplistic. People sell things because the item no longer meets their needs, they grew out of it, it wasn't what they expected, they need the money, yadda, yadda, yada.

Phrygian77, Drew617 and Torren61 like this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I just had a shower and I do my best thinking in the shower and it occurred to me that three bad guitars in a row is kind of odd and that we're only getting one side of the story... yours. The "crack in the paint in the neck pocket" remark stuck with me and I pondered that one.

I thought back about all of the guitars I've purchased and I can't recall one time I ever bought a guitar and disassembled it to inspect the neck pocket. Why did you do that? There must have been a reason. Was it a 1965 Strat or a 1962 Tele? I would want to see the neck heel stamp for one of those guitars.

You know, I just remembered. I DID take apart a 1973 Fender Precision bass but it was at the seller's insistence during a trade and it was an in person deal. What guitar was it that you took apart to inspect the neck pocket?

6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

VERY simplistic. I've traded and sold VERY nice guitars that had no issues at all simply because I wanted to own/try a different guitar. Nothing wrong at all with the one I sold or traded.

Jared Purdy and MilwMark like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

We can sort of see here in posts by us in the hobby guitar tech partscaster modding community that looking at a shiny guitar and spotting issues might be hard.

The dang things are made of cut up dead trees and they are all different no matter how hard the manufacturer tries to make them the same.

Then we may also all have different ideas of how good a guitar needs to be to be any good at all.
    If I had five minutes and a gold card I would have a hard time getting a good guitar at GC to bring to a gig.

But, some of my best guitars have an extra screw hole here and there, so YMMV!
    New or mint I see your point though.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I assume he means on one side or the other of the neck pocket where we can see it with the neck on the guitar.

Torren61 and DugT like this.
  9. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

Sorry but I screwed up. The crack was not in the neck pocket. (I already corrected my original post.) The crack was on the outside of the neck pocket and started where a crack would likely start if the neck pocket was cracked. I took off the neck to see that the crack doesn't go through to the neck pocket and is probably just in the paint. Still, it should have been disclosed and doesn't improve resale value. That guitar was listed as "Mint" but it was also missing a washer on a tuner and had a stripped pickguard screw. That guitar was the least over rated of the three.

Torren61 and telemnemonics like this.
  10. telereissue

telereissue TDPRI Member

What's your Reverb shop name so I know to never sell to you?

Tsquared, Dave W, Drew617 and 2 others like this.
  11. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I’d like to point out that you’re not buying items “from Reverb”, you’re buying items from individual sellers who use Reverb as a selling platform. Reverb simply provides the platform and hopefully protections for both buyers and sellers.

I’ve bought and sold a lot of things on Reverb and not had any trouble, probably 80% of my gear acquisitions over the past three or four years and probably around 95% of my my sales were through Reverb. Questions, pictures, more questions, additional pictures and clarification if needed, be willing to walk if a deal seems too good to be true or if you feel something is weird about the transaction. Pay very close attention to the sellers feedback and return policies.

Dave W, Drew617 and JuneauMike like this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

They surplus for those reasons. 1st shot goes to fam. Second to neighbors and friends. Next is work associates. Last after nobody else wants it, it goes to Reverb. Meaning there's a reason nobody (including the ownser) wants it.

13. DugT

DugT Tele-Afflicted

So you would sell a two year old guitar as mint and not mention a crack at the neck pocket, a stripped screw hole and missing tuner washer? What is your Reverb name?

14. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

That's Reverb for you. I bought a Bad Cat amp in "excellent condition" that had four bad tubes, a blown speaker, and biased -and this is the tech's words- "insanely hot". I hate buying used gear sight unseen.

15. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

That stuff doesn't sound much different than what you'd get at the factory (even extra holes occasionally). But if the seller says it's "mint" and the buyer doesn't agree, then it's not "mint" for the purposes of that particular sale. If I'd bought those guitars it may be a year before I notice those problems. If I ever do at all.

When it comes to Strats, that crack in the neck pocket is a feature, not a bug. ;)

RobRiggs and Scooter91 like this.
  16. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

2 nice guitars for me and indeed one was better than advertised even the box it came in from the factory was mint.

higher end guitars are better taken care of bec ones who own them are very careful not to knock them around.

remember a dent on an old tele is mojo, a dent on a prs is minus $250

JuneauMike likes this.
  17. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

Most of my friends that have sold stuff did it to buy the next shiny new thing and needed the money from the first guitar. There are certainly quite a few people here who lament that they ever sold that"one guitar" and wish they could get it back. I had one friend who would collect guitars over a ten year period and then sell them to a store all on a whim for ridiculas money like $500 for a mint 1967 ES335. Then tell me about it two months later.

As far as false claims. I do believe there are a lot of private sellers that don't realize that mint means mint. and can't believe that you don't see how their precious guitar isn't the best one you have ever seen. They have ignored that scratch for 20 years why can't you. I have mostly bought players from dealers that are willing to take an offer on something that isn't selling, but I have bought from a few individuals and I've just been lucky.

18. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Yeah, don't mean to disagree exactly because a neck pocket crack (if we're talking about the finish) is pretty common and could easily go unnoticed. Ideally it should be disclosed, of course, but a lot of guitars are just going to have that. Honest sellers, me included, do our best to explain and show any flaws. But a guitar with honest playwear may get some specific common issues overlooked when highlighting the more obvious ones.

I've flipped a fair number of my own guitars and work hard to be an honest seller when I sell. I'm not there to make money really, just to recoup some hobby cash from gear I was done with. So it's a massive pain in the ass to deal with a buyer with unreasonable expectations, for instance perfection out of a used VG-EX guitar priced at 50-75% of retail. Not saying that's OP at all, but those folks are out there. You learn quickly that managing and aligning expectations is important on both sides of a transaction.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Right, they buy the stuff they buy. The rest of us buy something, and if its what we want, we keep it, never goes up for sale, and indicates a successful product and ownership, with no need to move onto something wanted more.

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

I've only bought a few amps through Reverb but I've gotten a lot of gear through eBay, and I've never had much trouble in either case.

Here's one trick I've found useful. Before bidding or clicking Buy on something like a used guitar, I send a note to the seller with a question. It will be an honest and legitimate question, and not one that makes me sound antagonistic or like a customer who'll be impossible to please. It must be a question that needs at least a few sentences to answer, not just a yes or no. Ideally I already know the answer. I can often - not always, but often - judge a lot about a seller from the tone of their answer and from how quickly it arrives. That impression factors into my decision whether this seller is someone to do business with. I have turned my back on deals after receiving a snotty, incorrect, or weeks-later reply.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.