3 NUGD

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Zepfan, May 15, 2021.

1. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Was at the Pawnshop looking for a decent S type guitar to put my SD Lipstick Tube pickups in. There was one Squier priced at almost new price(used Squier guitars have gone up in prices recently) and I didn't want to buy it at that price and they wouldn't budge.
    I was about to leave when I saw a off brand S type for 40 bucks. I picked it up and was amazed at the weight. The neck weighed more than the body. It was poorly put together and I figured I might just use the neck which seemed to be in good condition, so I bought it. At the counter we're talking and he says,You know that's a partscaster right? I said yes and that I was going to strip it down and modify it anyway and he said he had 2 guitars in the back that needed some work if I was interested. I said sure and we went to the back and he shows me 2-3/4 S types with 24" scale that he'll sell for 50 bucks and I said sold.
    So for 90 bucks I'm out the door with 3 - S type guitars.

Attached Files:

2. Zepfan

This worked out great, I wanted a short scale S type to make a Tres Cubano guitar(was thinking 23" scale, but this will work) and I was wanting to make a Mustang/DuoSonic type guitar so 1 of the little ones will do for that. At least that's what I'm planning for now.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Nice!

Zepfan likes this.
  4. Zepfan

The regular S scale guitar turned out to be a real POS turd. The body is super light(maybe 2lbs), all the screws on the trem were pulling out, none of the pickups were working, guitar buzzes until you touch the strings to ground, the wood between the neck pocket and pickup cavity is broken, trem claw screws are pulling out because they're sticking out into the pickup cavity and the worst was to come.
    The neck plate was from an Epiphone, the neck had a brand name of Fever and I'm betting the body was a GFS reject. So the neck screws holding the plate and neck are 3 different types. I pull them and the plate to reveal 3 more screws threw the body into the neck. Take those out(2 different types) and remove the neck. That poor neck heal looks like swiss cheese. 4 original holes are stripped and then there's 7 other screw holes of 5 different types and I haven't even checked the trussrod yet.

5. Zepfan

pics of the Fever guitar carnage.:lol:

Attached Files:

Blackmore Fan and preactor like this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I like the “fever” headstock shape

Switch looks funny, never seen one like that

Flip G likes this.
  7. Zepfan

The regular Stype may be trash, but I can just go with the 2 minis for 45 each as a good deal I think.

The minis are Kona brand and they have a couple of easy fix scars, one trem arm is missing and one pot is broken which I was going to toss anyway.

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. Zepfan

Pic of the neck heel. 20210513_173812.jpg

9. Zepfan

I haven't seen a switch like it either. The pickup signal wires for neck and middle go totheir place on the switch, but the bridge goes to the usual extra tone terminal. There's only 7 terminals on this switch plus a ground terminal and I think it's all off.
    How it's wired
    Terminal 1 is neck pickup
    Terminal 2 is middle pickup
    Terminals 3 & 4 are jumpered and go to volume
    Terminal 5 is 1st tone
    Terminal 6 is 2nd tone
    Terminal 7 is bridge pickup
    Ground isn't wired
    Who ever wire this didn't know what they were doing and they have too much speaker wire on hand.:lol:

Fretting out likes this.
  10. Zepfan

I hope the minis are in better shape that this one.

11. Zepfan

The minis turned out to have issues too.
    Both of these guitars are clean and look to be in good shape.
    I tried to plug one in and found the jack to have rust in it. Took it apart and found the inside to have rust and corrosion on the parts and electronics. Like someone used it for a boat paddle. The wood between the trem cavity and pickup cavity is broken on one side. and the neck may have a slight twist.
    The other mini wouldn't work because the volume pot was messed up bad. The rest looked okay til I got the trem off and saw the wood was broken in the same place as the other one.

Guess I'll be getting 3 wood body blanks and use these for templates. I have a plug cutter to fix the "Swiss Cheese" neck and hopefully be able to fix the slight twist in the mini's neck.

Sometimes what looks like a sweet deal is really just paying for some trash and a couple good parts.

12. Zepfan

Since lumber here is high< I went to Stewmac and they had Alder paint grade body blanks for 65 bucks a piece while buying Poplar here would cost me 80 bucks a body. So I just ordered 3 Alder body blanks from Stewmac.
    I'll be making a 25.5" scale S type with Lipstick Pickups. Also picked up a lefty trem to use righty like SRV and I'm painting mine White like his Lipstick Strat, but using Tort guard.
    2 - 24" scale guitars. 1 will be a Jag because I've wanted one for awhile and I just got 2 pickups for one. The other will be a DuoSonic type with 4 - 3 pole singles that will be in pairs with a series/parallel on/off/on switch for each pair.

Decided the Tres Cubano build will be a Cigar Box body and a neck that needs to be made.

13. Zepfan

1 mini neck is usable and the other does have a slight twist near the headstock, but it may be fixable.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.