1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 New Mustang amps on Fender.com

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by chrisgblues, Jan 6, 2011.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

so may I ask, if these amps have a problem, are they disposable ?

2. GraspnAtStrings

GraspnAtStrings Tele-Meister

I've got a Mustang I and am really interested in hearing the bigger models. They are supposed to be open back and contain different speakers.

I'm not sure it's fair to compare these to a Pro Junior. You can buy the Pro for 300.00 but to record it, you need mics, preamps/mixers, etc. and a space where you can crank the amp without bothering others. In that sense, these Mustangs are superior.

These amps are a great way to get good tones for easy recording and headphone practice, something that can't be said for most larger tube amps. And compared to the smaller, cheaper tube amps out there, these Mustangs easily hold their own tone-wise. You have to tweak the tones in the Fuse software, but that's a lot easier (and cheaper) than changing out speakers, transformers, and tubes which a lot of people do to their tube amps in search of better tone.

I've read disparaging remarks about these amps around the net from people who have never played one, saying digital amps go against the Fender tradition. I disagree. Inexpensive, easy to use equipment seems much more in the tradition of Leo Fender than all the custom shop stuff. Buy a Squier guitar and Mustang III and for less than 500.00 you can play gigs, practice late at night while everyone else sleeps, and record a whole CD quality album to your laptop with just a USB cable--the perfect tool for 21st century garage bands.

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Tele-Meister

Yes, I have pre-dug a time capsule ditch in the back yard by the shed.

4. fly135

fly135 Tele-Holic

It makes no sense to compare to a Pro Jr. If you are in the market for a multifx amp (Vypyr, Spider, Vox, Roland), then you aren't looking at a Pro Jr.

5. CharlesT

CharlesT TDPRI Member

You can look at all of the modeling gear and amps that Vox and Line 6 are selling, and figure that Fender wants to get their share of that market.
    Having said that, I think Fender hit these out of the park. I have a Mustang II, and it sounds really good, especially for the price points. Since I'm not a tube maniac, it works great for me for it's intended purposes - it sounds good at low volumes, I can practice with it anytime with headphones, and it's fun to tweak the sounds with the FUSE software.
    The Deluxe, Twin and Princeton sounds are really good, and close to the real thing. What else do you want for $200?

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

My thoughts as well.
    My Mustang 2 is not my main amp, but its great for small jams and rehearsals. Very easy to record with, too.
    I may sell my II and move up to the III ( easier to program on the go)
    The Fender models are awesome!

7. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

I have the III, I traded my II up for it as I have only had the II for a few weeks and I was still under the 30 day return for GC.

I like the III, more presets, bigger open backed cab, fully adjustable presets without needing Fuse via the LCD interface, and you can get some very convincing sounds from it. Fender did a great job modeling it's own clean amps such as the Princeton and the Twin. Side by side, I am sure the tube amp would sound better, but I have to admit, these amps are a step further in modeling quality.

Still though, I have 25 days to return this. I know a local guy selling a Peavey Classic 30 for 275 bucks mint. Tempting tempting...

8. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Don't be so precious about the Fender brand... Fender's made a lot of different amps over the years and any number of them were dogs. My late '80s Stage Lead combo comes to mind...

But today, 99% of my practice time gets done on a Vox VT which is perfectly great at living room volumes and the best part of a modeling amp is that when things start to get routine, I can goose things a bit by swapping between some pretty decent Vox and Fender models. I haven't played these Mustangs yet, but I'm guessing I will sometime.

I do hang on to my ancient 6V6 Standel for gigging though...

9. StratQuebec

StratQuebec TDPRI Member

Miked Mustang I Classic Rock recording - All Right Now - by Free

It's a kind of short pastiche.

Toward the left you hear a '57 champ preset.
    Toward the right, a '65 Deluxe Reverb preset.

Guitar used: American series strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless. Wonderful pups thanks to Bill Turner.

Bass used: Kort 5 Strings (stock)
    Miked used: Cheap Apex SM58 clone.
    Tuning: Eb

DAW: Record (by Propellerhead)
    bpm:166
    bars:58

http://download.maxt.com/stratquebec/FreeAllRightNowPastiche.mp3

But, nothing is perfect I guess.

To get a real super ultra mega clean tone out of it is not doable according to my experience, at least, presently. Maybe it will change in a near futur. Depends on Fender. I explain.

There's always some kind of undesirable distortion (or digital artefacts) arising when you let ring a chord or a note, especially in the low frequencies, just before the chord or the note ceases to ring. It's not loud and you probably won't hear it at a store or at a gig, but, You can hear it clearly. Listen to the clip I've made. http://download.maxt.com/stratquebec/Mustang1-twinClean.mp3 It's subtle but it's there. It's a direct recording via the usb cable using garageband. No speaker involved. No cabinet involved. No clipping at all in GB. Btw, there's a thread about that issue on the fender.com forum. http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48391

For most people, it will be a minor issue or even, not an issue at all. Personally I don't really care. I don't gig and do only home recordings. If I need a real clean sound, I'd use a real amp like my PRRI for that purpose.

But, but, but...
    Come on, for 99$, I got A LOT for what I paid for. I can get a lot of good tones out of it. It is excellent for home recordings, It very responsive to the dynamics and it cleans-up wonderfully well on most presets. Once you get used to how work the knobs - especially the effects - It becomes very easy to use.

Once connected to your computer, you use the FUSE software to go deeper. Choose the cabs, place effects pre or post (or if you prefer in front with pedals or after through rack effects via a virtual effect loop), control the bias, more or less sag and add a noise gate.

Another interesting feature is that for some models like a champ or a deluxe, you get via FUSE some extra knobs like a gain control, a middle, reverb. That way you either use a vintage or vintage modified amp. On other models like the AC30, you can control the presence and the cut. Using the web you can upload/download other presets, backing tracks etc.

In short, if super ultra clean is your cup of tea, maybe you should look elsewhere and get a real tube amp like a Twin or a Super Reverb but as a weapon of good tones and versatility, frankly, you can't get better for the price.

Have fun with your Mustangs.

10. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Vox doing Fender with the "Bruno amps".....Fender doing Vox "Valvetronix" with the Mustang amps. I guess I'm getting old but I like Fenders to sound like Fenders and Voxs to sound like Voxs.

11. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

That video from Namm of the 2x12 version sounded really really good ! Im going to check into these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.