3 minutes 12 seconds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jun 12, 2019.

1. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

Me and my buddy used to play Patti Smith’s ”Godspeed” (Because The Night B-side)on the jukebox at the local cafe. It was fun to see the other guest’s reaction..

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Three and and a half minutes? No wonder we never heard a lot of Grateful Dead...

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I wonder how the machine determined the duration of 3:12? Sounds like pretty advanced circuitry for a 1950's tube-powered mechanical record player.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, my dad had a gold pocket watch that had belonged to HIS father....maybe even his grandfather. It didn't work (probably broken mainspring) but I thought it just needed "servicing". I decided to oil it....with 30 weight motor oil. For some strange reason, it didn't help. ;)

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

My momma found a really nice railroad watch in a cotton patch picking cotton that said it had twenty one jewels if I remember right. It didn't work so I gave it a good oiling too! It still didn't work. Man I wish I had that thing now, I'd pay whatever it cost to have it fixed. That was somewhere around 1953 or 1954. I don't have a clue what went with it, just disappeared into the past.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Today’s curious kids will find a battery, chip and bits of plastic, shame really

Digital Larry and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

Today's kids have these (actually, we had one of these when I was a kid as well): clock.jpg

There were still quite a few places that had jukeboxes in the late 90s early 2000s. Many a time Kim Salmon's Swampland was played at the Arthouse in Melbourne. Good times. :)

8. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

I remember a Billie Joel song where he sang about a song of his being cut down to 3:05. Maybe that was the reason.

9. Toto'sDad

Do you have any idea why they were banned?

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Couldn't sell that in this country. Too many small parts for a kid to swallow.

Steve 78 likes this.
  11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It could lead to dancing.

We used to play the flip side of Brewer and Shipley's "One Toke Over the Line," a song called "Oh, Mommy" with Jerry Garcia playing pedal steel guitar. Or the flip side of one of the later Beatle hits, "You Know My Name."

william tele likes this.
  12. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

And we used to eat at a Mexican restaurant in my home town and all the songs were in Spanish. We'd just put in quarters and hit random combinations of letters and numbers and lived with what ever came out of the speakers. The waitress liked that we'd play "her" music.

boris bubbanov and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Banned jukeboxes?! How unAmerican!

I'm pretty sure it was the runoff groove instead of a timer. I thought the time limit had to do with radio station rules.

14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

When I was at the University of Idaho, we used to go to the Copper Kitchen and spend literally all night in a booth drinking coffee, eating pie and poking coins into the juke box controller at the table. There was some great music on that thing, given it was a college town in the mid seventies.

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You have to remember that I was 5 or 6 at the time...but the story I always heard was that the town didn’t want the Chicago mob gaining a foothold. Hence jukes and pinball machines were banned.

They didn’t return until the mid 70s.

16. Toto'sDad

That right there makes complete sense. Thanks.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This makes more sense.

Still, there had to be some means by which a skipping record was not permitted to run on to infinity.

I'll be out in CA in a few weeks. I'll ask my Dad - he might remember.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

There is a jukebox and other collectibles shop not that far from me, sells mostly vintage and restored jukeboxes imported from the USA. So I guess there’s still an interest in them. The shop is in a small town that’s rather run down now with a lot of Indian restaurants, charity shops, vape shops,etc, so it’s very eye catching as you drive by.
    There was a place I went to in the early 80s where the owner would pull the plug if he didn’t like your jukebox choices, so a few of mine never made the whole 3 minutes and 12 seconds. I remember this as a pulled plug song ( not exactly a crowd pleaser I know )...

Random1643 likes this.
  19. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

The jukebox in my dad’s bar was a Seeburg.
    The top songs that come to mind were,
    Stranger on the Shore
    Blueberry Hill
    El Paso
    Mack the Knife
    We didn’t own the jukebox. Some guy owned and serviced all the machines. Jukebox, Pool Tables, Shuffle Board .
    The plan worked on red quarters. The guy came around and dumped the coin box from each machine on the bar.
    We would take out all the red quarters (quarters with red nail polish on them), then we split, one for you, one for me, one for you, one for me till they were down to the last quarter, which we got.
    They used red quarters to get the place going.
    If a customer came in and it was quite, it stayed that way. But if there was music on the jukebox, when it stopped, they would go put a quarter in it. So we seeded the jukebox with red quarters to keep the juke box playing.
    If something went wrong with the juke box, him and his guy came by and switched it out for a different one. Same with any machine. This guy also supplied, Pickled Eggs, Dill Pickles, Pickled Pigs Feet, Pickled Hot Sausages!
    When he came by, he switched out each jar with a full one and gave you credit for how many you had left in each jar.
    One of my jobs was to settle with the guy.
    I eat everything except the pickled pig’s feet , I loved the pickled eggs and the hot sausages.
    The guy said his wife did all the food, he did the machines. His Cadillac had a trunk full of coins.
    Looking back I’ll bet it was a great business. We made real good according to my dad, and didn’t have to left a finger.
    That was part of Bar life in the 50’s.

20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I really enjoy pre-microprocessor technology. Doing a Hammond amp conversion I have looked a lot at the L-100 service manual. Engineers went to great lengths to accomplish things by brute force. I imagine someone holding a magnetic pickup next to a rotating gear and light bulbs (inspiration) going on.

As I embarked on my engineering career in the early 1980s I was surprised to discover that engineering wasn't "magic", it was the result of doing a lot of things in a methodical way to get a job done.

My first job after graduation was at Ampex, and sadly by that time they were out of the audio business except that all video recorders required an audio channel. That place had a lot of history and old-timers working there. No other place I ever worked had that amount of history. Some of the things I worked on can still be purchased. I have no idea why, but here you go: https://www.broadcaststore.com/store/model_detail.cfm?id=7178

Today, people think Facebook is a "tech" company.

My 8th grade science and homeroom teacher had a jukebox in the classroom (this was 1973). Man what were some of the songs!

. Alley Oop
    . Conquistador
    . Charlie Brown

etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.