3-lead pickup quick connect-disconnect?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by alathIN, Dec 2, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I'm doing a semihollow DIY build and in the past I've found it helpful for semihollow wiring frustrations to have a quick connect-disconnect on the pickup leads.
    On my previous project I used computer connectors which have worked OK - but only two wires - and for my current project I need something that will handle three connections - signal pos, signal neg, and ground.

I suppose I could do the GFS style thing with 3.5mm plugs and jacks but it's a bit bulky for the space I have to work with.

If you've found a great solution for this please share!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

alathIN likes this.
  3. hamilcaster

hamilcaster Tele-Meister

alathIN likes this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

On my semi hollows I have simply installed a terminal strip designed for low voltage applications (load cells in my case) in the pickup cavity. That lets me wire all of the electronics before I put the back on, then install the pickups without worrying about fishing the wires thru all the holes. I don't bother with quick disconnect because I don't need to disconnect them unless I wanted to change the pups in the future. I do use a three terminal strips which allows me to do the coil splice for the humbuckers in one terminal.

IMG_3323.JPG

If you do all the wiring with the back off you can then tie little strings (I use dental floss) on each component and leave it all inside the guitar while you do the finish. Pull the components back into place after you are all done - certainly easier than trying to push it thru the f-holes (do double check that you can get them thru the f-holes if you ever have to work on it)

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3394.JPG

5. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Wow that is a slick setup!

I didn't get that going early in the build but I will definitely think about it next time!
    I think there may be some RC car connectors that will work for me.

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

visit the Hobby Shop sites. Look for Dean's Connectors.. they're very small for a neat installation and very high quality.. and being inexpensive helps too..

rk

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Yep. Been using three-conductor RC servo pigtails for years. They are small, high quality, and work great.

alathIN likes this.
  8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

That's exactly what I found at the local RC car place!
    Looks like it should work out well

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

The issues for easy disconnect wiring is:
    1. They're easy to disconnect and usually do so when you don't want them to do so.
    2. They need to be done so that wires can't get easily crossed.
    3. The more connections you have, the more problems you will have with corrosion and shielding.

I prefer cutting a rear access panel for the electronics. It's not as hard as you may think it to be.

10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

If this is a true semi hollow with a lovely arched back it is harder that I want it to be.

However I will also add that I don't see any reason for quick disconnecting a pickup - convenient yes, quick no.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.