3 Humbucker Fans?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Binx, Aug 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Any fans/owners of 3 humbucker guitars? If you own one show us what you've got! What do you like about them?
    I don't have a 3 HB guitar, and don't think I ever will (but who knows, threads like this always get me looking and GASing), but like to watch everything on Youtube from Joel at Chicago Music Exchange and he seems to be a really big fan of the 3 HB instruments.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I love 3 pickup guitars...if you can get the middle pickup alone. Typical Gibson 3HB wiring is very dumb, and doesn't allow for that.

Had a 3HB Strat with a Tele switch. Switch gave you either bridge, middle, or neck, just like original Strat wiring – no notch tones getting in the way. It was great. Sold it for something else, and sometimes I regret it. It was an early '90s MIJ '50s style in 2TSB finish. It was very well crafted and a real looker. All classic '50s looking except for the three nickel plated Gibson humbuckers in it.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the look of a white SG Custom and would love to own one, but I know deep in my heart that I don't get along with 3-pickup guitars. Hell, I had a Nashville Tele that I traded away because the middle Strat pickup got in my way. It's one of several reasons I don't like Strats. In practical terms, owning any 3-humbucker guitar would be pointless for me, but those white SGs sure are pretty.

Fretting out and Binx like this.
  4. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Thats where I stand, and why I probably won't ever own a 3 humbucker. They look cool as heck, but practicality wise, maybe not so much.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

you mean like the Black Beauties and the Peter Frampton models?

I have 3 hum canceling strat size Dimarzios pickups in my strat , does the count or is this off the grid of this tread

Deeve likes this.
  6. Binx

Binx Tele-Meister

Nope, not off the grid at all. in any scenario I think a triple humbucker combo is something unusual.

7. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

My 1983 Les Paul Custom:

[​IMG]

It's set up Peter Frampton style, with three volume controls, one tone control, and the middle pickup is always "on," but can be dialed out by turning its volume down. I love the looks of the three pickup Custom, but I do have the middle pickup screwed slightly lower, so I don't tap it with my pick. It's heavy, and has a very different sound than my sunburst 2000 LP R9. The Custom has a much tighter, more focused, more generic humbucker sound with less "bloom" to the notes. But on some songs it's great. It was also my first pro guitar, and for mojo alone, it's difficult to think of selling it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  8. Henley

Henley Tele-Meister

On my strat's...the middle pickup always gets in the way with me...I lower it down as far as it will go and mostly forget about it.

littlebadboy likes this.
  9. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

looooooong gone but both great guitars

all mahogany body & neck

RLC1 3 pup.jpg

the neck & middle pickup on this one are awesome, and along with a huge '58 type neck profile

GMC3P C7.jpg

this pic shows the true color of the plain maple top

Greco EGC 1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  10. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Three HBs? This one has a good variety of tones and can be pretty loud/raucous if pressed.

IMG_7131.JPG

I also have two guitars with 3xP90s.

Chiogtr4x, Deeve and Binx like this.
  11. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I have some triple P90 guitars, but this is the only one with triple HBs. PRS NF3 Narrowfield pickups are humbuckers in a smaller size. This guitar is a bit of a strat killer with great tones in the 2/4 positions, and no noise in 1/3/5. Korina body and maple neck.
    NF-3_1.jpg

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity

I like 3 singles like a Strat setup, but 3 P90's in one of my Strats was a bit too much.

When it comes to large singles and humbuckers, I like the RWRP Neck - Bridge combo of a 2 pickup guitar better and a Peter Green setup is good too.

I do have 2 guitars with a single humbucker in the middle position that do very well tonally.

13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I dont even like three single coils.

14. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Three HB guitars look very cool, but I doubt I'd ever have use for one. The older I get, the more practical I get. I've owned a Strat, Gibsons, a hollow body, and a Dano. I got most of it out of my system and now only have my telecaster.

However, rock on as you see fit.

Henley likes this.
  15. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I have always loved the look of three-pickup guitars, particularly SGs, and I like that Epi Riviera model with the three P-90s, but a few years back I had a three-pickup Rickenbacker and as much as I loved the look—it was probably the coolest-looking guitar I’ve owned—the middle pickup did get in the way of my picking hand. So, with regret, I’ve stayed away from them . . . except for Strats. For some reason I don’t have that problem with them.

16. Squidface79

Squidface79 TDPRI Member

Controversial maybe but in my honest opinion three humbuckers on a Les Paul or SG definitely ruins the look.
    And Gibson don't even give you the option to select just the middle pickup.
    But then I like the look of danelectros, airlines and other weird looking plywood guitars. Each to their own I guess.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Very cool.

I have the two pickup version of that guitar. '83.

I was curious if you have had it since new.

If so, do you know if the original strap buttons were Posi-Loks? Posi-Loks are diamond shaped, not round.

Also, does the pickguard (if original) have a wide bevel or a narrow bevel? And is the white layer still white, or is it yellowed? And is the back of the guard matte or glossy?

I know I am peppering you with questions, but I hope you will be agreeable to answering them, as I am doing minor restorations on my guitar, and I want to make sure I get the parts right. Plenty of info on what's "correct" for a '59 Les Paul, but precious little for Norlin era ones, especially late Norlin era.

I tracked down a blue-lined gen-3 chainsaw case for it, which my research concluded was the original type.

Thanks.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Got this a few months ago to hold me over until my wife lets me get a proper black beauty.
    That said, the Frampton/fenix neck is incredible, I’ll be using the specs when ordering necks for other parts casters.

22C7214B-02C9-4F4F-9D36-27813A5E7232.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  19. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Funny enough I’ve read other people have gone to the frampton wiring. I’m probably going to swap it out for a 5 way Switch with new wiring when I upgrade pickups in the next few months

20. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Meister

The two I can answer quickly for you are:

>> If so, do you know if the original strap buttons were Posi-Loks? Posi-Loks are diamond shaped, not round. <<

Yes, they were the diamond-shaped strap-holders; I converted it to Shallers in the early 2000s. (That was also when I had the third pickup added, as I had lusted after the original three pickup "Black Beauty" after seeing photos of Keith Richards, Clapton, and Fripp performing with them.)

>> I tracked down a blue-lined gen-3 chainsaw case for it, which my research concluded was the original type.<<

I think that depended on the dealer. My original case was a black hardshell case with the Gibson logo, with (I think!) red fur inside. The case got pretty trashed from carrying the guitar to band gigs in the 1980s, and in the early 2000s, I replaced it with a new Gibson hardshell case. I'll try answer your other questions when I have the guitar in front of me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.