1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 Holes & 4 Holes

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telly Savalas, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Telly Savalas

Telly Savalas TDPRI Member

Let's say - hypothetically - you have a '72 Deluxe RI body drilled for a 3 hole neck plate and a neck drilled for a 4 hole neck plate, would it make more sense to modify the body to fit the 4 hole neck or modify the neck to fit the 3 hole body?

2. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Do any of the holes on the neck already line up?

I never really cared for the 3 hole neck design. I guess it was OK though. There's still plenty of those 3 hole mounted Strats and Teles around.

3. Dmann

Dmann Tele-Meister

If two of the three holes are in the right place just do the neck to fit the body. One hole, only one chance to screw it up. Plus you have the body to use as a drill guide for the neck.

4. Telly Savalas

Telly Savalas TDPRI Member

No. I was hoping someone may have done this before and could give me the benefit of their experiences.

I didn't think the 3 hole version was that great until I put a Thinline together a couple of weeks ago. I'd still rather have a 4 hole, but the 3 hole isn't as bad as I'd imagined.

5. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

On real 70s Teles the screw patterns are completely different on 4-bolt and 3-bolt guitars. (Note that "bolt" is the common terminology, but we are talking wood screws and one machine screw here.) Between the two, no screws are in the same location. For example, on a 3-bolt neck you would have to plug and re-drill the two wood screw holes, plus add the two additional wood screw holes, to fit the neck on a 4-bolt body.

6. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I would almost always drill new holes in the neck rather than the body. Unless you can't live with a 3-bolt neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.