1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$3 Fret levelling, Cheap 'R' Us

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by rirakuma, Feb 28, 2011.

1. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

I had this idea of using a sharpening stone to do fret levelling, does this sound like a bad idea? They cost $3 a block and I assume they will stay dead flat for a while.

[​IMG]

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Nope it's been done for decades. The stone will load up with particles after a while.

3. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

Can you explain what you mean by this?

4. chippertheripper

chippertheripper Friend of Leo's

The metal filings from the frets I'm guessing. Because they're probably softer steel than your typical knife edge.

5. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

Ah I thought thats what he meant. I think they wash away with water but I would probably chuck it out and buy a new one if I get the feeling its no longer flat.

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And those cheap sharpening stones will wear out quickly. Just make sure its flat between fret levelings. You can reflatten those stones buy placing some sand paper on plate glass and working the stone back and forth.

7. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I just made a fret leveler out of a piece of scrap granite counter top. Cut a piece 2”w 24”L ¾” thick. I glued it on a piece of 3/8 ply. I just use spray glue to attach 600 grit wet dry on it. I used one time it worked great. It is a little heavy and if you drop it or when I eventually drop it I’ll bet it will break. Might check with some local counter top fabricators probably would give you piece might even cut it for you. Myself I had a piece of scrap from my kitchen I just used a dry cut diamond blade in my Skill 77 and cut it myself using a straight edge as a guide

8. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

As Ron Kirn mentioned in a similar thread, these sharpening stones can get loaded up with fret metal and they can begin to become un-flat with use.

That said, if you don't have access to scraps of Corian or granite, this could be a great base on which to put the sticky-backed fine sandpaper. In other words, don't use the sharpening stone to actually do the cutting/sanding, but use it as an affordable long-flat surface.

9. rirakuma

rirakuma Tele-Meister

Sandpaper on em is prob the best idea. Granite isnt easy to get here in Australia, I have no idea where to get scraps of one and I assume the local hardware store will charge quite a bit for em. Thanks everyone :D

10. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

If you could find one that was flat, stayed flat and was 18 inches or so it would be great!

I can't trust myself or my skills to use something that won't hit every fret, all the time. I tried to cut my friends hair once when I was in high school, that was a disaster.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Hears another idea: Get a piece of glass silicone it to a piece of wood, you might find a local shop that has a nice thick piece of scrap they can cut for you and sand the edges. Silicone might not work you might ask the glass shop how to attach it. Myself I always wanted to get some thick aluminum and have it milled nice and flat.

12. Colt W. Knight

I used a piece of maple jointed flat on one side for years. Just glued some emery cloth on with spray glue and went at it.

[​IMG]

13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you go to a cabinet shop which does kitchens they will have scraps or will tell you who does their granite/corian tops. I live in Bundaberg and one local "Marble" place here has acres of the stuff just in the yard waiting to go to the dump. I've now got sanding stones and flat plates for gluing up tops and backs.

DC

14. JCJCJC

JCJCJC Tele-Holic

Granite is an igneous rock, ie it is cooled lava from a volcano. I don't know anything about the geology of Australia but if there weren't volcanos there tens of thousands of years ago, you're not going to find any granite. It's common enough here.

15. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, the softer metal particles imbed in the stone as the other guys mentioned.

16. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

I use a sharpening stone for fret leveling exclusively. I've never had a problem. However, I always use a few drops of light oil before & after each use, I use a light touch when leveling & I give the stone a shot of compressed air when finished to help extend the life of the stone. As others have said, they will load up over time, but are cheap to replace.

17. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Even tho' I have access to granite, corian, marble, etc., I did the same thing. Easier for me to handle, plenty of heft, and straight.

For the OP: Lots of stones are not flat out of the box, so don't trust that that one is.

Rich

18. Colt W. Knight

Its also easy to clean the glue off, you just run it over the jointer bed one time.

19. Rob52

Rob52 Tele-Holic

+1

Check out your local kitchen cabinet or bench top makers, someone is bound to have offcuts they are only going to throw out anyway.

20. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Think ya might be confusing granite with ryholite. Granite is not volcanic in origin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.