3 first simultaneous scratch builds... champ, deluxe, and tremolo...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Huddy, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

F0FFA659-85E6-4757-98C9-E0E642E8A1B0.jpeg Been messing with amps on and off for the last few years... just one kit (MOD102) but mostly scouring yard sale sites for broken amps to repair and resell.

finally working on my first 3 scratch builds all at the same time, all parts individually sourced to minimize cost + shipping charges. Cutting out my own blank chassisisssisss.

I started cutting out the one for the champ and I get it pretty darn good except the pilot like hole was way too big. Don’t know why I thought they were 7/8”.

moved onto the deluxe chassis tonight and it went off without a hitch. Transformer dropped right in. the IEC receptacle fit like a glove.

Cross your fingers for me... I’ve got a bad habit of getting side tracked and putting things on the back burner.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. BobSmith

BobSmith Tele-Meister

Looks like a Hammond aluminum chassis.

How did you cut the transformer and IEC holes?

Huddy likes this.
  3. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

wow three at a time is pretty ambitious. Which trem amp are you doing? I've done two scratch builds, and I always seem to overlook something or forget to order some parts, so I end up with extra shipping charges.

I am also a fan of the larger chassis with the tubes and transformers on one side like the marshals and brown and blackface fenders.

Ill be watching your progress
    good luck
    John

Huddy likes this.
  4. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

That’s right - 10x6x2 for the champ. 12x8x2 for the deluxe, and 16x8x2 for the tremolux.

I used this great and inexpensive tool called “The Nibbler”

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/nibbler-cutter-square-holes

it worked great despite being slow and tedious. I hogged out the majority of it with a step drill bit.

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

I’m going with the 5E9. My idea was that each one would be a step up from the next. Champ Simple, deluxe simple with push/pull. Tremolux = deluxe w/ different phase inverter and trem.

D'tar likes this.
  6. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

That is a very logical progression. Looks good so far.
    John

Huddy likes this.
  7. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Getting started on the 2nd attempt at the Champ Chassis. 11/16" in my new mantra :lol: Something I forgot to mention was that I was going to have 2 rectifier sockets because the Hammond 290AX Transformer has two HT taps; 275-0-275 and 325-0-325. The 5v heaters will go to pins 2/8 in parallel to each socket. Then each set of HT leads will go to its own socket. I considered having it on a switch but I'm not sure what kind of switch would be able to handle that kind of voltage; I don't know if it'd be different for AC Voltage vs DC like on a Standby Switch. But this way seems simple and fool proof to me. I understand that I may need to address the 6V6 cathode resistor for the two HT secondary options but we'll cross the bridge when we get to it ;-)

8. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

You could always put a couple of washers on it to reduce the hole size.

9. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Yeah I was thinking it'd be fine with a faceplate of some sort down the road. But for now sticking with the blank slate.

10. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

DFB3B43F-A645-4CBB-9DB7-B708D4327B25.jpeg 22882805-D564-48ED-9F44-E1543145DAE3.jpeg 5E108181-112B-4379-89C0-D3D0795224E7.jpeg So finally got back on the champ circuit. I’m totally winging the layout as I move along as I’m not using a turret board. Here’s a few quick pics of the progress as of last night. Hope to get this finished up by this evening.

11. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

Caution, the 290AX is rated for 3A on the 5V heater secondary. One or both of the rectifiers would have to be SS, if both tubes were heated at the same time.

Huddy likes this.
  12. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

if there’s only one rectifier tube installed at a time there should be no issue right? I’ve got it setup (or my intent was to set it up as) depending which socket the rectifier socket was used would determine either the 275-0-275 - OR - the 325-0-325. Very possibly I’m missing something simple, but I’m not seeing it.

13. ponce

ponce Tele-Afflicted

Simultaneous stuff is always impressive!

Huddy likes this.
  14. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

it’s turning out to be less simultaneous and more rapid succession. But we’re getting there none the less

ponce likes this.
  15. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

One rectifier tube at a time will be no problem.:)

Huddy likes this.
  16. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

And some pictures...

E9301390-B009-4A97-AD4D-80A390CC2990.jpeg 76A2F5BC-8AC5-4D44-B278-9A516B717A9E.jpeg 286674D5-4261-451A-9E66-C569E58AB5DB.jpeg 971FBEFB-1D4F-4A60-8EFC-98BD8605296D.jpeg BEC618AC-511D-4484-B8FE-7A49D166DD31.jpeg B58010B7-9670-4541-9B95-C4965F63F255.jpeg I didn’t get to finish up the champ yesterday because I had to go buy a Gibby LP Junior a hour and a half away. Soooooo I finished it up this evening - it sounds glorious with the Junior. though it’s pretty noisy with it. I plugged in a humbucker guitar and it was significantly more quiet, though still some hum. I unplugged at the amp’s input. Pretty quiet up until 5 and then louder until 10. Then gets a little more quiet once dime’d.

Here’s a video clip, let me know what y'all think and any tips to possibly quiet it down. Thanks in advance!

17. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Hi Huddy,
    It doesn't sound very loud in the clip. I think in general a single ended amp is going to have more hum than a push pull amp.

I would ground the tube heater center tap to a pt bolt, or the the common ground you've got going.

On another note, I do not see a fuse in the 120 volt ac, do you have one? And I don't see your power chord ground hooked up either.

The you may also want to put some space between the capacitor and the resistor for your power tube cathode.

Looks good and I'm glad you like the tone your getting.

take care
    John

Huddy likes this.
  18. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

Thanks for the feedback!

yup, I'm going to try that in the morning and see if there is a difference. I'm also going to move the 6v6 cathode to ground with the first two filter caps.

Good eyes ;-) I've got a iec socket/fuse holder combo unit. For the 6V6 cathode bypass cap I misplaced my 470 Ω resistors so I robbed one from a populated turret board that I had made up a while ago and never did anything with. The leads on it were short so it is pretty tight but I was antsy and I'll swap it out when I get some more in.

19. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I can't see a virtual centre tap on there. Why don't you try that?

IIRC, with an 5F1/5f2a it's easy to elevate the centre tap for less hum, too.

Huddy likes this.
  20. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Holic

the transformer has a center tap and I’ve already elevated it to the cathode of the 6v6. :(

Lowerleftcoast and Paul-T like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.