1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3 dollar raise!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Your heart is in the right place and that is a popular sentiment right now.
    However, that needs to have merit, otherwise it diminishes hard work and value of others. It’s bigger than just being nice.

2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

the employee incentive program. I like it :)

we havent gotten raises or a bonus in what will be the 2nd year. we may never get a raise again.

its ok though bec we lost 2 guys this month and I been eating up their time they left behind.

last 2 weeks check 92 reg hours 35 OT. Im tired.

grats on the BIG raise.. spend it well :)

telestratosonic and 2HBStrat like this.
  3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Congratulations!

2HBStrat likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don’t know why guys are joking about a $3 an hour raise. Back in ‘73 Pablo’s painting company in Albuquerque hired me from my “machine shop” job—a glorified black light factory—for all of $2.25 an hour vs my $2.10 and I was glad to get it. I got the job after hearing Pablo lament about his apprentice painter while I was in line to get my drivers license. I pretended I was an excellent & experienced painter and he called me that night with the offer. I was thrilled.

Pablo saw the first day that I’d vastly exaggerated my skills but he quickly straightened me out. I was such a working nutcase that I quickly outpaced the apprentice, so Pablo let him go. I knew Carlitos was making $3.50 an hour so a few days later I talked to Pablo on break, no small task as breaks totaled exactly 25 minutes per eight hour day, including lunch. I told Pablo that I liked Carlitos—because I truly did—and was sorry to see him go, but that as I’d replaced him I hoped for a raise as I was doing more & better work than Carlitos had. Pablo thought for a minute then said “Stu-art, I’ll raise you to $2.35 an hour today, and if things keep working out I’ll give you another $0.05.

As I recall that raise got me a six pack of Burgie and a pack of Camels after taxes, but it was at least a raise. Struggling as I was with a wife who’d taken up with a friend, self-imposed child support and poor life in general I had little time to scramble for other jobs in what was then an employers market. I never held it against Pablo as he took a chance on me and kept me on instead of canning me the first day, took me deer hunting up by Jemez and became one of the most memorable folks in my life back in those days. I called him years later after I’d returned to Michigan just to say “Hi”.

That was a long and ancient story just to say that a $3.00/hour raise is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats!

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It’s not a matter of “heart”, it’s a matter of fairness.
    Since 1978, CEO compensation rose 1,007.5% for CEOs, compared with 11.9% for average workers. CEOs now make on average 278 times the average worker’s salary, up from 58 times in 1989 and 20 times in 1965. If a CEO is fired he has a “golden parachute”. If a worker is laid off he/she get nothing.
    Merit should bring performance increases and not effect the average wage paid for a job. A living wage is not about “heart”, it’s about right.

Flaneur and Tele-beeb like this.
  6. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Working it out on a guitar forum doesn’t change anything... except getting us divided and you and I share a lot of guitar ideas and values.
    However, the deeper point I make without numbers and statistics is simple and also in fairness.
    If a young worker puts away money to retire and maybe buy himself a nice guitar rig at the end. That is honorable and wise. If near the end, all of a sudden the money he saves loses, lets say a third if its value... thats unfair.
    Two wrongs never make a right.
    So the problem is not a worker isn’t making a fair wage, it’s those ceo’s make relatively too much? Then the way to fix the problem is strengthen money and increase its buying power... not deflate it so that those who saved have less.
    That’s actually what is going on... workers money is being deflated by reducing it’s value. It’s a deception being masked by a fake problem. A common tactic used by those in power.

7. GeneB

GeneB Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

pooper-scooper-service.jpg

telestratosonic likes this.
  8. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

There are people Today in the MS Delta making $4 an hour and a LOT of waiters in small restaurants everywhere making that too but "plus tips". My son enlightened me on the waiters and servers and opened my eyes to give more in tips. :)
    Congrats on your raise!!

9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Hopefully it wasn't a fat finger glitch in the payroll dept! If so, they'll be asking for that $ back toot suite ;)

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You and I couldn’t disagree more. The average American working family has not derived the same growth in earnings as those at the top of food chain over the past 40 years. This is certainly due in part to a stagnant minimum wage to tax policies and interest rates that favor corporations and the wealthy.

You speak as if everyone has enough income to put aside money for retirement and that is not the case. There is no meritocracy. Nurses aides, grocery clerks, etc don’t work any less hard than others they just make less. Many don’t make a living wage let alone have money to set aside for retirement. Food and shelter today is more immediate.

I’ll end by stating the income gap is real and growing wider and more folks should be getting significant raises.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.