3-d printers? any have expiriences with them?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Mar 26, 2020 at 5:52 PM.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

yesterday I started looking at them , for curiousities sake , but the prices are pretty good , could be a good thing to have to make some interesting goodies like cases etc .and the prices are not that bad.
    I was curious if any one has one or is using one at present , and any pro's /cons etc

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yup. I was a level 2 support engineer for Hp on their 3D printers. The ones you are seeing with “prices not too bad” are most likely fdm printers. Print from “weed wacker” line. Ive seen those as low as 399.00 at Fryes. I printed a tele body has on an Hp production model. It uses 80 micron PA12 nylon powder. The pic in the corner is both pieces. Had to do it in 2 pieces.

getbent, AAT65 and 24 track like this.
  3. 24 track

are any of these worth looking at? I see some of them are down to just 100.00 now but you can bet thay are garbage , yes these do use weed whacker line but a few of them use variable matterial , and at least one of them uses flexible line to create a flexable model
    I am looking at one to create things like cases for my projects i build (at least that is what I am aiming at ) and my Kid is into cosplay and could help with her costumes etc. I appreciate your comments.

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I almost got a job writing software for sintering printers nearly 25 years ago.

This is the list you want for the 'glue gun' printers:
    https://makezine.com/comparison/3dprinters/

Couldn't say which one you might like. There's pros and cons to nearly every one. For cases, look at build volume.

Personally, I have other ways of making cases. It's curvy, mathy bits I like.

One of my projects while I'm at home is to maybe put one together. I've done enough motion control to know my way around that.

24 track likes this.
  5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Meister

Could you print a pick guard?

24 track likes this.
  6. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Technically yes but with a fdm printer it will be made up of ridges as the line melts and gets squirted out of a print head nozzel. Think of taking a caulk gun and tracing a pick guard. 3D printed parts require lots of finish work. Look at my avatar. Thats after an hour of bead blasting. I spent another 10 just sanding and filling. Below is in various stages of finish. The relic is on purpose. Got sick of filling and sanding. 9A8309C3-5A3C-47DE-9A4F-CBCBE7694D21.jpeg 9C3024F3-B863-40E1-9A2D-86C79750B426.jpeg 7336E16B-8665-49FF-A8B8-230673910DE9.jpeg

TelenTubes, Fendereedo, AAT65 and 5 others like this.
  7. 24 track

this could be a lot of fun ,I will definately do some more research, If I get one I will post about it.

alnicopu likes this.
  8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Yes, do lots of research. You can get a 400.00 one or spend 3k on a really nice precise one. You can download ready to print files on Turbosquid and Thingyverse and some others. Most will print .stl file format

getbent and 24 track like this.
  9. 24 track

there are some for 100.00 DIY build units but as in most cases you get what you pay for. From what I've seen on Ebay there are lots for sale, so its amatter of looking at the specs and quality of print ,of build , what matterials it will use, and maximum size of the print so between 350.00-750.00 is not unreasonable, then most of the material is about 50.00 a kilo ( probably cheaper in bulk) so I will follow up for sure!

how heavey is the tele body? that looks really cool! I could design my own firebird lefty bodies LOL

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I 3D printed a small black hole once. I got sucked in by the tremendous gravity and emerged into an alternate reality.

Luckily, it sucked in all my stuff, too. So I didn’t lose anything. And the new alternate reality is virtually indistinguishable from the original reality.

The only reason that I noticed that it was an alternate reality is because the toilet paper comes off the roller from the bottom back instead of the top front in this reality. Had it not been for that, I’d have never noticed that I was in a new reality.

String Tree and 24 track like this.
  11. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

No experience whatsoever with those things but, it looks pretty cool.
    maybe, someday.

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

I was in the same boat till yesterday and I started watching some Youtube , peaked my interest severely , I can think of all sorts of stuff to build (or print as it were ) some more research for sure before I jump in. but I can see one in my future!

String Tree likes this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My poor Garage is two square feet from becoming an Episode of Hoarders.
    I need to get rid of so much stuff before I can think about anything like that.

24 track likes this.
  14. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

I’ve got an ender 3 pro. Cost about $200. Love it, print quality is great for the money.
    Takes a little work from time to time to keep it set up, but nothing bad.

it’s a fun hobby, but I don’t know that it’s store practical.

24 track likes this.
  15. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

If you’re talking about guitar cases, it would be horrendously expensive to make something that large.

24 track likes this.
  16. pj1440

pj1440 TDPRI Member

I have an Anycubic MEGA S, it was a few hundred quid from amazon.
    It's useful and great fun, but takes a while to figure it all out.
    I have used it to print some guitar related bits of tools for refretting.
    A tang grinding guide that screws onto my dremel and a neck support for a fret clamp:

IMG_20190727_154730.jpg IMG_20190727_180022.jpg

24 track likes this.
  17. 24 track

That's funny ..

no, I was refering to cases for my eletronic projects I build or repair or modify , practicle stuff I can use and design

18. 24 track

Nice stuff there !

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use an Ultimaker 2+. Mid price but you get what you pay for. Can take different heads/materials. Near 100% success rate.

Cheaper ones get failed prints a lot, which with the time they take, really takes the fun out of it.

If you can get one that will deal with Nylon as a material, you can make genuinely useful and hardwearing parts.

BE55968D-044F-410F-8BFE-58510D0FD914.jpeg 38114D50-CCEE-496D-8650-F0CE919AA9C5.jpeg 3E9F1549-381B-41D8-9FB0-4C497173F6B4.png 15D369D2-8C72-42B0-8CA3-2F5FE13BFBBE.jpeg C266603C-2400-42A3-87FF-80DFAFD2C7A4.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    1 person likes this.
  20. 24 track

great advse, I havent decided on a model yet ( Im like a kid in a candy store right now) , there are lots to choose on ,some noce prints you've done there

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.