1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

#3 - Black limba thingy

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by darkforce, Jun 9, 2017.

1. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

A couple of month have passed since my last build. Since we have finally settled in at our new place I have some time and money to start working on the next project.

My first and second attempt were both more or less made up as I went along, planning just far enough ahead as needed. This time there will be a bit more time spend designing something and then trying to build to this spec (well... loosely, to leave enough room to fix screw ups :rolleyes:).

So here is my current drawing:
    drawing.png

Once the hardware arrives, I need to check if the tuners will actually fit the headstock and if the break angle created by the position of the ferrules will clear the bridge. I still don't like the neck heel, so that needs some work as well.

Specs:
    * Roasted alder body with a black limba drop top
    * Khaya neck, maybe a walnut fretboard (or maybe roasted birds eye maple)
    * Angled headstock
    * 648mm scale length
    * Schaller STM bridge
    * Hopefully self wound PUs, if I ever get around to building a winder...

To compensate for the height of the bridge, the neck will be angled slightly, since countersinking the bridge into the body might look weird with an 8mm drop top.

I'll post some pictures of the wood during the weekend.

Best regards
    Johannes

24 track and cdwillis like this.
  2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I really like that shape.

24 track and fenderchamp like this.
  3. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

The body shape is inspired by some of the guitars from Overload guitars, so I can not take full credit :)

24 track and fenderchamp like this.
  4. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Aaand we reached the start line. Took only 10 month (and one additional guitar in between) to get started...

1524124406143.jpg

I rearrenged the specs slightly. I'm trying for a multiply neck this time around.

Best regards,
    Johannes

24 track and Jsil13 like this.
  5. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

That's a nice piece of limba. I cut out a body from some a little bit ago and after I finish a few more guitars I'm working on I'll be back at it. What kind of finish are you going for? I've only done painted guitars and the limba will be my first natural finish so I'm trying to research as much as I can on what people are using for grain filler and finishes on it.

24 track likes this.
  6. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Apart from filling the worm/bug holes (which black limba seems to suffer from a lot), I'm not planing on filling the grain. Finish is going to be Tru Oil.

The khaya board moved quite a bit after ripping two thin strips. Continued the glue up nevertheless, since I have a bit of material to spare. Hopefully enough to end up with a usable neck blank after squareing it up...
    1524159307721.jpg

The roasted alder for the body is plenty thick, even without a top on, so I was hoping to salvage some of the wood for covers etc., but my band-saw does not nearly have the capacity to resaw a board like that. Feeling a bit adventurous, I marked the board and jumped straight in.
    At this point I was wondering if this was such a good idea:
    1524159314943.jpg

But in the end it worked out ok:
    1524159320599.jpg

One board later:
    1524159337821.jpg

Best regards,
    Johannes

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    24 track likes this.
  7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Something you may want to try next time you do a glue up like this is make the neck wood a couple inches longer and drill a hole for a bolt or dowel at each end to align them during glue up.

24 track likes this.
  8. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Thanks for the tip, will try that the next time around. But the problem was movement of the wood, even though this piece of khaya was dry when I got it and since then it has been sitting on the shelf for two years without moving, so I had to remove quite some mayerial to get it ready for glueing, which is why the maple is significantly wider in the picture. Once I plane everything down square it should still be thick enough though.

24 track likes this.
  9. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Out of the clamps and after planing there is enough material left :).

1524215522448.jpg

24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks beautiful, keep it comming!

11. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Removing some wood from the neck blank just to glue it back on ;):
    1525212158513.jpg
    1525212164428.jpg

The next time around I need to be more careful with the symmetry of the multi-ply neck. I forgot, that I need to flip the headstock, so the lines don't match up on the backside. Let's see how much this bothers me once everything takes shape. If it looks too weird I might put a veneer on the backside of the headstock as well.

Truss rod:
    1525212297164.jpg

I also started work on the body:
    1525212167150.jpg 1525212172413.jpg

With my new spindle sander I can finally skip the nerve wracking outline routing. Also saves me from the need of making a template. Since I'm still learning and experimenting I don't see myself building the same body twice in the foreseeable future:
    1525212175016.jpg

Best regards,
    Johannes

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    DrASATele and guitarbuilder like this.
  12. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Looking good, TO and Black Limba/Korina is a great combo.

13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

very nice. cool shape. reminds me of a similar bcrich with the down turned horn.
    note to self... remember the bolt idea.

14. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Only two years after starting this thread there is a tiny bit of progress:
    topOn00.jpg
    topOn01.jpg

It turns out that I could do with some more clamps (does one ever have enough of them?), but other than that the glue up went well. Steel nails work well for indexing, but it was quite difficult to remove them and took a bit of prying. But all of that will be removed when routing the neck pocket anyway.
    Do you guys have any suggestions on filling the insect holes? Matching the wood color will most likely be out of the picture, since the color is all over the place. So maybe just drop fill with some super glue?

Hopefully the next update won't take another year, but we'll see :).

Best regards
    Johannes

Jim_in_PA likes this.
  15. darkforce

darkforce Tele-Meister

Trying not to lose momentum, so I started to create the inlay from maple and roasted alder. After breaking a couple of pieces with a coping saw I used a dremel with some fine router bits to cut them out of the wood and finished them up with small files and sandpaper:
    IMG_20190622_233641_20190622234349114.jpg

Best regards
    Johannes

fenderchamp likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.