1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3/4 size Tele-preferably Pink?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by boogie02130, Oct 31, 2004.

1. boogie02130

boogie02130 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone's ever seen any real playable 3/4 size Tele's? I have a young daughter that's into the pink phase and I'm thinking about getting her a Tele. I'm guessing the Pink Paisley would fit the bill. Any ideas/thoughts?

Thanks,
    DRx. Hepcat

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't know about a Tele but....................

You can get a mini Strat as either a Fender ($349) or Squier ($99). You'd have to do your own pink refinish.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Daisy Rock

if she's way into pink you could get her one of these

[​IMG]

but a mini-strat with flower stickers on it is going to be a lot handier when she enters the dreaded "pink stinks" age.

4. TB72

TB72 Tele-Holic

One option....

You could get a pink paisley tele, and get one of those conversion necks from Warmoth. Those take you from a 25 and a half inch scale to 24 and 3/4 (like a Les Paul's scale).

However, this option might be a little pricey if this is "just a phase" that your daughter is going through, and she's not going to be playing guitar long term....Does she play already, or would this be her first guitar?

Later...

5. Mickey

Mickey Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Re: Don't know about a Tele but....................

As a kid my dad and I butchered a ton of stuff in our basement, nothing ended up working, but great memories. Maybe have her choose the color from ReRanch or wherever and you two do the finish. Who cares if it isn't perfect. It'll be original.

6. jidai

jidai Tele-Meister

Get her a full size tele or strat and paint it Shell Pink. I really like the color myself and I'm a boy...

Seriously, my dad got me a full size Squier tele was I was young and I did just fine, and when I got older I modded the s--- out of it and it become my main axe. Thanks Dad!

I mean, perhaps it is just a stage but for the difference in price wouldn't you rather have it be something that your child with still want to play when older? A 3/4 size guitar is doomed to be sold at 1/8th of its price to Music Go Round or a similar used music store. I know, one of my best friends works at one.

If you don't want to refinish it (a sentiment I can understand), Squier and Fender make plenty of other colors like Candy Apple Red and Surf Green and such I could easily see younger girls being into.

7. sparky

sparky Tele-Meister

As Jidai says, a 3/4-size guitar has major drawbacks; why not get her a full-size Tele and put a capo on the 5th fret (or wherever suits) until her hands are bigger?

8. boogie02130

boogie02130 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestions

Hi all,

Many thanks for the suggestions. My daughter will be 3 in December. She has a 3/4 size acoustic tuned to open D and has a definite interest in it. She has been singing in pitch since she was a year old, plays some harmonica (harp) and recently has taken to asking questions like-What's the difference between rhythm and melody? What time (signature) is this song? One day she's in the supermarket with her mom (also an excellent singer/songwriter) and say's "Let's sing the ABC's". My wife starts to sing the song and my daughter stops her and say's" No Mommy, let's swing it". She then proceeds to sing a swing version of the tune, complete with attempted fingerpops! She can tell the difference between a strat and a tele and has asked for a pink guitar. I am planning on waiting a little to see if her interest continues but wanted to check out my options.

Many thanks,
    DRx. Hepcat

9. Dave Yeats

Dave Yeats Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

strategy

get her a Squier mini-strat for now, spray it pink, then in a couple of years you can sell it for close to what you paid for it & get her one of these:

[​IMG]

the light weight, chunky neck and excellent all-round playability make the thinline a solid beginner's choice, as evidenced by the fact that my 15-year-old son won't give mine back.

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Re: Thanks for the suggestions

She's 3 and asking questions like that? Buy that girl whatever musical stuff you can afford, it will be money well-invested. My vote is for a $99 mini Squier that you paint yourself.

And I'd be sure to find her music lessons that continue to be fun so that interest keeps going.

12. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

hippietim just made a 3/4 size Tele for his kids a month or two ago. I can't find the thread but it was a pretty cool guitar. It had a full scale neck but a 3/4 body made by USACG.

13. Ronetele

Ronetele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

try a duosonic

while not 3/4, many of them are made with small scale necks, they sound good, are made reasonably well and i've bought them on ebay for well under $200. it's even possible to get old ones at reasonable prices.

14. GlennLewis

GlennLewis Tele-Holic

Here's a tiny one for you

Holndav's thread on the ESP guitar site got me looking around, and here is an import mini-tele. Looks like a beauty.

http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2004/index.html

Click on the "Dir en grey" link on the left side of the page, then scroll down on the models displayed... past the black goth looking things, there are 3 red tele-types... and the bottom one is a mini that I'd be proud to have one of my kids play.

15. mike_levitt

mike_levitt Tele-Meister

Another genius kid.....

My daughter is 4, and also has been singing in key for a few years. She also has begun singing songs that she makes up on the spot, while banging a guitar that I have tuned to open G.... It's great!

"Cheerleader - I can do anything" is one of my favorites...

Anyway, we've already got a baby strat in the house, plus a baby taylor, tacoma papoose, (all her big sister's)and they are all still too big for a 4 year old. I also looked at the daisy guitars, and they're also too big. But I really like the baby strat and the papoose - for me!

I ended up getting her a samick Les Paul Jr, which is about 2/3 the size of a baby strat. It's a real piece of junk, and cost $100, but she can get her hand around the neck. But it only comes in black. I looked everywhere and there's just nothing else out there. I would have paid more for a better piece if there was something available.

All of my guitar teacher friends say you really can't start teaching until they are 7 or 8, but I figure it's good that she's interested, and this gives her something to play with for now.

Any of you entepreneurs listening out there? Am I the only dad nutty enough to buy my 4 year old a nice guitar? Somehow I doubt it!

Mike

16. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Falcon mini Tele

[​IMG]

Here's my daugter Tiia playing her Falcon Mini Tele at her 7 th birthday party two years ago. That Falcon is a nice 3/4 Tele with a real wooden body and decent hardware. It is a nice slide guitar too! Didn't cost too much either.

17. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

3/4

I respectfully dissagree with those who think it might be better to get a full size axe. First of all, she is not a boy and even as a teen may still have small hands. If the guitar is uncomfortable (heavy, too big, stiff action) she may play it less. I had a full size guitar that was brutal when i was 6. When i got a bit older my mom bought me a musicmaster and champ. That musicmaster really helped me develop and i got a lot of enjoyment out of a guitar that was really fun, balanced, and comfortable to play... I think the thinline would make her struggle and may discourage her.

But.... i would love to have a thinline when i grow up... hee hee.... which is... when?

(wouldn't mind having a daughter either ... or a wife or a house.... hmmm.... even just a girlfriend... sheesh... the things we give up to live a life in music)

-kp8--

~

18. nelly60

nelly60 TDPRI Member

Well to answer your question please go to forum...welcome waggon and the 'half size working pink telecaster' thread posted by me yesterday....as luck would have it!
    Well i never! I thought i had the only little girl interested in pink telecasters on the planet.

19. nelly60

nelly60 TDPRI Member

Oh wait!! all the above was posted in 2004! She will be eight now! get her a full size one and paint it pink...or even a Hello Kitty thing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.