1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3/4 guitar to Baritone Uke/Tenor hybrid

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by screefer, Dec 3, 2020.

1. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

So I was looking for a solid top baritone ukulele and online availability (up here in Canada) was low. I found a S Spruce top Cordoba and paid for it but the honest owners of the small shop phoned back to say that it was not playable due to the neck and they were sending it back. They had nothing comparable in stock so back to searching.

While searching I found Tenor guitars. I had heard of them but had never seen/played one. When tuned to *Chicago* DGBE tuning, they are the same as a baritone but with closer string spacing and steel strings. Alas none in stock so I had this 3/4 Yamaha JR-2 and decided to have a little fun experiment.
    I divided, in thirds, the distance between the nut slots 1 and 5 and did the same for the bridge pins. I then filed two new slots in the nut and drilled two new holes in the bridge. I was concerned about the lower break angle of the new bridge pin locations since I had also shaved the saddle considerably. Turned out to not be an issue.

Anyway, it was a success and such a blast to play! These JR-2s were/are great bangs for the buck but are no longer produced.

I have ordered a baritone Solid Cedar top Kala ABP-CTG from that shop but it won't be here until mid to late January. I can practice on this Tenor guitar, with baritone ukulele string spacing, beauty until then!

IMG_1020.JPG

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1022.JPG

JayneV and crazydave911 like this.
  2. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

How interesting! Glad your experiment turned out well. You made a whole new instrument with this little modification. Nice work. I am currently in the process of building a solid body tenor guitar which was originally going to be a baritone uke.

3. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks. I can hardly put it down since. You think differently with only four strings and play a lot of inversions. Google Tiny Grimes for some great old time tenor guitar blowing!
    Please post your build, too!!

JayneV likes this.
  4. JayneV

JayneV Tele-Meister

I searched for Tiny Grimes on google and YouTube. Great sounding tunes. I don’t know how to play guitar, hopefully I can eventually learn to play the one I build. I have a build thread here if you are bored and looking for something to do...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/my-first-build-4-string-guitar-or-ukulele.1053957/

It’s quite a long thread where I am getting lots of help from some great people willing to share their knowledge.

61fury and screefer like this.
  5. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Tenor guitar and cello for bass on the Inkspots too.

JayneV and screefer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.