1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

3/16" tele body roundover?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gregulator450, Oct 26, 2020.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hey folks, I was reading a years-old thread about the roundover radius on tele bodies, and it appears that 1/8" is the standard, but some sources claimed as much as a 1/4" roundover existed at some point. Have any of you split the difference with a 3/16" roundover, and if so, what did you think of it, both from the viewpoints of aesthetics and comfort, as compared to a 1/8" roundover? Pictures, if you have any, would be cool too. Thank you!

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

an 1/8" bullnose radius would be pretty close I think. (1/4" circle) but I see nothing wrong with 3/16

crazydave911 and gregulator450 like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    crazydave911 and gregulator450 like this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

@guitarbuilder this was my thought exactly. I like the look of 1/8" but I think 3/16" would be more comfortable without sacrificing looks. **ordering roundover bit now... lol

crazydave911 and guitarbuilder like this.
  5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I use 1/8 on the back and bind the top (so there is no round over) but a couple of things to think about are the hole for the jack and whatever kind of plate or socket you will use, how close your neck plate is to the round over and whether you like it at the neck pocket. Not saying any of those are problems but you might want to check.

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

the original, the snakehead had pretty much none.. the edges were simply "eased" by hand so there does appear to be something there.. .. This continued for the first few runs of the Broadcaster.... Somewhere along the line it became standardized with a ⅛ bit .. I forget when but somewhere in the next couple of years Don Randal reported the Guitarists were complaining about the hard, sharp edge, so the radius was increased to 3/16.. but that was "floating" since the workers would sand the edges to remove tearout and other anomalies...

While the uncertainty is hell for the OCD crowd, the good news is, ya cannot hear how round the edges are..

r

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Interestingly, and I have long forgotten where, but somewhere in the past, it was noted that the continuing gripes being reported back about the hard edges on the tele is one of the reasons the Strat was created with the more pronounced radius and the contours..

John Nicholas likes this.
  8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I switched over to a 3/16" radius after using the 1/8" on the first couple that I did.

With the 1/8" I noticed that by the time I was finished hand sanding and getting everything looking right the radius ended up about 3/16" anyhow :).

With the 3/16" radius bit I use there is no conflict at all with the jack cup, but to be on the safe side you should probably route the edge radius before drilling the hole for jack cup. That way you eliminate the possibility of the guide bearing dropping into the jack cup hole and tearing up the body ;).

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Holic

Nacho Banos did a survey of several blackguards, and the edge radius on fender blackguards (50-54) range from .08 inches to .18 inches, I'd make an educated guess that the standard spec on paper in the 50s was 1/8th, I don't know whether or not the radius along the neck pocket was also 1/8th, I've been looking for a chance to take some measurements on 50s telecasters. Likewise, I haven't surveyed any late 50's and 60's telecasters like Nacho did yet, but I've been told that 3/16ths on the body and 1/8th on the bottom of the neck pocket is probably correct spec.

John Nicholas and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.