1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

2sa221 pnp fuzz projects

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Jushden, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

Hello people. I got some Sanyo 2sa221 transistors off eBay to make a selmer buzz tone clone and I'll have some left over for other projects. I'm thinking I could also make a range master and a maestro fuzz with these. Maybe a mk1 tone bender. Has anyone used these transistors for these projects before? Experiences? I'm looking to make kinda honky lofi low density 60s fuzzes. Marconi western fuzz!

2. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

3. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

Thanks I'll mow through that in a bit. I actually just built two boxes... Neither works but both have the same problem. When I switch over to the effect I don't hear anything. But if I turn my amp all the way up I hear a faint signal and the knobs function. This tells me that the circuit works? But maybe that the transistors are just super weak or dead and I'm just hearing what's called "leakage" maybe?

I built a selmer fuzz and a rangemaster. I'm thinking I just wasted 40 bucks on parts, jacks, and enclosures. Oh well.

Perhaps I should stick to fet and ic circuits.

If anyone is interested ill post the selmer fuzz schematic.

Dinner time.

4. Jushden

Jushden Tele-Meister

Thought if post a quick update just to give this thread closure. The transistors I bought on eBay were all bad. All of them!

So I bought 4 oc44 transistors off pedal parts plus to finish the rangemaster and buzz tone that I built. Wholly cow on those oc44s! The rangemaster I built kills and the buzz tone is the single loudest and honkyest pedal ever. The buzz tone schematic I had was for the 2sa221 but I figured id try 3 oc44s in there instead without changing anything else. Damn it's loud! Anything past 9 and the whole town can hear it. Nothing I have is even close to having that much boost. Neither pedal is harsh at all. I might start another thread just to document it but it doesn't seem many are interested in that pedal build.

Anyway the lesson is I suppose that you should buy transistors from reputable sources and not just the eBay dude who's already cherry picked them. Over and out.

5. poiureza

poiureza Tele-Holic

Good for you !

Yeah I suppose I'll have to check out the OC44 thing myself one day.

I have a slew of working Ge PNP circuits in the basement. All made with cheap sustitutes of the "real" thing - I don't have a single acknowledged or OEM transistor in my parts bin.
    While all these circuits sound actually quite good after tweaking and chosing among the "wrong" transistors, they're very different from things I hear on youtube.
    I wonder if using the "real" transistors would really make THE difference.

I just finished a buzzaround where I used russian MP21D germies (hfe ~60 Ic ~100µA)
    And again : sounds VERY nice but VERY different from Burgs YT video

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.