2nd String Tree on Tele-type??

zozoe29

TDPRI Member
Greetings all~ Most pictures that I see of Teles, old & new, show only 1 tree for the high E & B, correct? First off, why is this, especially when compared to a Strat that has a similar break angle at the nut, & the Strat gets 2 trees? Secondly, I understand their purpose, & looking at my Tele h'stock that came w/only 1 tree, hopefully the pictures will show how after the e & b tree, the G string has the least break- angle, then the D has a bit more of a break, and the A has the same break as the e & B strings at their tree, & finally the low E has the greatest break. Never having been a Tele owner, but learning from a lifetime of Strats & LP's, I'd say yes to putting a tree on the G/D. Is there a "correct' location for me to put that new tree, somewhere closer to the nut side of the A string post?
Thnx folks ~
20220112_200323.jpg
20220112_200341.jpg

Martocaster

Tele-Meister
I think plenty of Strats only have one string tree too. Isn't it mostly the large headstock ones that have two?

For me having two would solve a non-existing problem while introducing an extra friction point which may well cause its own problems.

A Tele is like the old Jeep philosophy, Just Enough Essential Parts!!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I run an older 2-string Fender string tree from my parts bin on one of my Teles, and a pair of GraphTech string trees on the other. The GraphTech parts actually eliminate friction, and that would be the way I'd steer ya. But it all depends on the individual instrument. Have you asked a top-flight luthier whether you need them or how many? That would be my first check box if I was in your shoes.

ponycar

Tele-Meister
I'd definitely go for trying new strings with them cut to bring the angle down when wrapped to near the headstock. Not nearly enough string length to give you the best angle over the nut in the photo that you provided. Very high probability that your problem will be solved.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I love the whole "no unnecessary parts" ethos of the Tele, but I have always fought to like the tone I get from my open D and especially G strings. Simply not enough break angle, I don't care how it's strung. (I have saf-t-posts, and always wind them all the way down, for the biggest angle).

I finally slapped a second butterfly tree on one of my Tele builds, and MAN I like the result. I bought a few more, but haven't installed them yet. My builds are an easy decision. My AV Fenders... not so much.

Problem is, I don't care for the triple tree. Though I've only tried the butterfly one. It doesn't sit as low as a regular tree because it flexes under the string pressure.

I have not tried the pricier, modern looking Reverend. I don't like the looks of that one, but if it works... then maybe.

I guess I'll go order one now. Read TDPRI, get an idea, crack the wallet. Jeez, I need to stop coming here.

Last edited:

LutherBurger

Poster Extraordinaire
Once you hear that awful ringing sound that a tree-less G string makes, you will never un-hear it. All of my Teles and Strats have two trees, whether they came from the factory that way or not.

I put the second one in the vicinity of the A string's tuning post.

Last edited:

relativegain

TDPRI Member
Zac Childs of Ask Zac was trying a triple string tree made by a cat there in Nashville recently. Can’t remember who made it. If you message him on social media I bet he will give you the info.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Zac Childs of Ask Zac was trying a triple string tree made by a cat there in Nashville recently. Can’t remember who made it. If you message him on social media I bet he will give you the info.
I googled, and maybe he was gonna talk about it on his setup video? I noticed the guitar he was playing had a standard butterfly style triple tree, like the kind you get from allparts or stewmac.

I didn't take the time to watch, because... he bores the crap out of me. Sorry.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
It has never even dawned on me that a tree could make a difference in how a string sounds. Great, another thing to worry about. :lol:

viking

Friend of Leo's
None of my guitars have two , ordinary vintage tuners on them all , perfect !

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I think plenty of Strats only have one string tree too. Isn't it mostly the large headstock ones that have two?

For me having two would solve a non-existing problem while introducing an extra friction point which may well cause its own problems.

A Tele is like the old Jeep philosophy, Just Enough Essential Parts!!

In mid 72 both strats and teles got two string trees

For me as long as the strings are roughly at the same break angle as the d and g string one is good enough

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
On my last Tele, I used staggered tuners and no string trees. Works great and looks clean. I'd like to try a reverse-headstock neck, even with regular tuners should work without string trees.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
On my last Tele, I used staggered tuners and no string trees. Works great and looks clean. I'd like to try a reverse-headstock neck, even with regular tuners should work without string trees.
I skip the string trees on my reverse headstock Super Sonic. I've taken the d/g string tree off of a few of my guitars, but kept them on others.