2nd song I've recorded using fingers....

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Last month I talked about how I've been transitioning to using my fingers on bass for the country band I play in. I'm down to 4 songs with a pick. Two of them will likely stay with a pick and I think the other two I will change to fingers now. (Big City and Heartaches by the Number). I was thinking those sounded better with a pick but now I think I got them to where I can use my fingers.

I'm gonna still use a pick sometimes on my own songs. This one I used fingers though.

I'm concerned about how the bass comes across in the recording for this one. I used a newer amp I never used before and I tried both my basses and ended up going with my P. I had tuning issues with my Jazz. Which may have affected the vocals. For a while I was thinking this song is a mess. But I'm not sure if it comes out nice or not.

Comments on mix and such are welcomed.

Bass... It's what's for dinner. :)

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
I think you should have made a poll, something like this:

Do you hear the brushes as a person scrubbing a sink?

__yes

__no

__other

I dig it (and would have answered “yes” on the poll)

One thing I like about the fingerstyle in this is you keep a pretty even level but there’s some tonal variation; you get some kinda bright barky P-bass-ness in the sparse verses, more of a round sound in the pre-chorus sections and the P honk keeps the bass prominent in the busier parts.

I like the guitar tone, the keys part and the way you shift the vocal harmonies too. Wish I could sing like that.

Last edited:

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
How did I miss this?

THANK YOU!!!!

I had no clue the brushes would actually sound like that. Wasn't even in my thinking. But Bryan is the one that came up with it. So maybe he did. Or subconsciously did. IDK. I liked the feel and sound of it. It sounded really empty without it. But like a whole kit the whole time seemed like too much for that song. But there again, I don't think I even gave Bryan any thoughts on this one. That was all his creativity. What he comes up with is usually way better than what I got in my mind.

dlsnyd2003

TDPRI Member
Once again I liked the song. Good stuff.....I find myself grooving along. I almost think ssl was done with a pick? IDK maybe not. Have a great weekend!

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
No I actually used my fingers. I was probably being forceful.

Thank you for the encouragement!!!! Getting someone moving is so cool!!!! Hope u had a good weekend too.