2k or not 2k

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dr jeckil, Jan 24, 2020.

1. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

Wondering what people’s opinions are on 2k clears for my latest build. Or just stick with nitro the quick cure of the 2k is very appealing. Came this far and want to finish off the way this top deserves......

Attached Files:

2. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Wow thats beautiful

Jlwctn likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

I'm about to try a couple 2k finishes myself, one color, one clear, but will require quite the respirator system.

I'm also looking at a 3rd option, Solarez, UV cured polyester resin.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I don't know what 2K is but that top looks wonderful !

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

I have done some testing with Solarez Polyester Gloss Resin. In the end I do not use it. It cannot be thinned. You will need to do a lot of sanding and then polishing. I found that it was NOT crystal clear. It is a great finish, hard and durable but it does not have the clarity of nitro or any 2K top coat. On the other hand I use the Solarez grain filler product on all my builds when I need a grain filler. I put a Simtec 2K top coat (Fenders Top Coat) on over the Solarez.
    Wade

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Skydog1010 and jfgesquire like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Is there a preferred 2K tutorial anyone would suggest?

7. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

Thanks for the heads up right now I am leaning towards trying the 2k gloss partly because of the short cure time but it’s also cold up here in the hell hole known as Massachusetts. I have been planning on trying it one of these days just didn’t want to experiment with this body but nothing ventured nothing gained at least that’s what they say....

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Thanks for your input.

I have used their sanding polyester as a base coat filler and agree it was thick, but it was designed to sand easily and it did come out nice under an acrylic lacquer (dupli-color).

I was hoping that warming up the gloss would help it flow a little better before curing it. I'll probably try it once just to teach myself a lesson, but I've been warned!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

9. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

What do you want to know? Mix it per the data sheet provided online or from the shop you bought it from. It has the the mix ratios and the wait time between coats. After that you wait 24 hours and start wet sanding and polishing. Let me dig up a document I wrote about painting a car. It includes info on clear coats and wet sanding and polishing.

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

I will try and get the 2k shot onto it in the next couple days depending on temps no heat in the garage is a *****. Then I will post some pics and impressions when done just sanding sealer on her as of now. For all it’s pluses nitro leaves a lot to be desired so if a 2 part clear works out well it would be nice to be done “for the most part” with nitro....

11. 1bad914

1bad914 Tele-Holic

Not sure I can attach a pdf, but if you want to read the car painting doc that goes through 2k CC let me know and I can email it.

12. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Just love your color on this. What dyes did you use and what finish do you have on the body now?

I went searching a few years ago trying to find out what the major manufactures are using for their top coats. I found the name Simtec and called them. They say they sell a lot to Fender and and if I remember correctly Taylor. At any rate that is all I use now and it is great. Easy to spray and takes Colortone dyes and really takes House of Kolor Kolor Koncentrates really great. I do use a good respirator mask that I purchased at my local auto paint store...I also use good quality rubber gloves. I use a $40 Harbor Freight spray gun and have also use their $15 one (on sale) with good results. You can thin the Semtec urethane with a good quality urethane reducer. Below is a link to my test of Simtec. I use the 57x1 Top Coat. It is not listed on their website. Call them and tell them what you are doing and they may have a suggestion on another product. You can pay with paypal...the website does not say this but they do take it.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/my-test-of-simtec-2k-urethane-fender’s-top-coat.704659/

Wade

13. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I guess my real question is whether I can get my lacquer busrt right then spray on a good hard clear coat.
    I'm sure they don't want to discuss compatibility issues, thus my question.

14. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

It is a very good question and many of us who are not paint experts just want to know what can go with what. You will almost never get a clear answer from the so called experts. They will tell to to try it a see it things are compatible. In general I have been told that you might/probably will have issues when you but something hard on top of something soft. Nitro is soft...2k is hard. I have also read guys doing just that with nitro and having it work fine...The question is what happens in 1 or 2 years...I don't know. I learned on nitro...left it because in my experience it is just not a durable finish. So I went looking for a 2K product that I could use just like nitro for my bursts. Simtec lets me do this much like nitro. I can use the same ColorTone dyes and the pretty much the same techniques. You may be able to use any automotive 2K clear coat and get the same results...I know Simtec works and they are here in California so I receive it in 2 days.
    Wade

RodeoTex likes this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Remember not to skimp on the face mask when using 2K. That will harden in your lungs just as easy as it does on a guitar.

I'd avoid nitro.

16. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

I used transtint orange and amber mixed with water I think water flows better than alcohol. The only finish on top of the dye so far is sanding sealer. Thanks for the nice words as I think we all know to get a decent looking dye and finish is a lot harder than it looks but it is a joy doing it. On to the 2k.......

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  17. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

I will check out Simtec and c if it is available in my area. Thanks for the suggestions.

18. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

Forgot the back which is also a maple cap was done in transtint medium brown and the mahogany center came to life with just a dab of color and matched well with the back..

wadeeinkauf likes this.
  19. dr jeckil

dr jeckil TDPRI Member

A shout out to aqua coat gel grain filler as I used that for the first time on this body and I was very pleased with its application and results. I have a flame maple neck for this project that I did but I don’t really like the color of the finish should have went with a darker dye under the clear and I may go back and strip, dye darker and clear it in a satin finish coat . I will c how the 2k comes out and get it all up here before assembly..

old wrench likes this.
  20. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Breathtaking beauty, there! Nice job.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.