28 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

this is where I recount that my brother was a gym teacher in Brea, Ca for a couple of years... one of his students was James Hetfield....

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I preferred the previous albums at the time. It didn't sit right with me at all. I think it was around that time, that I cut them loose, and never bothered with them again. Sad, I know, but I felt like they had sold out lol! I wouldn't dream of doing that these days, each album, by any band has it's own merits, I guess I was younger, and stupider.

dlew919 likes this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that little Jimmy was a handful!

dlew919 likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

He never dressed out and just sat in the bleachers... my bro said he was a nice enough kid, just freaked out about dressing out...

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I just listened to it last night. In the early '90s we would car camp, party, and crank that cd over and over 'til 3 am.

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

First record of theirs I bought was the 5.98 LP.

And Justice For All is my favorite. I wore that thing out, great for stacking wood or lifting weights, etc. Froze them in time after that album for a while.

They were toying with image, identity, and shifting gears musically.

I saw Lars doing some interview and he came across as arrogant.

I read these stories recently how they deliberately mixed down the bass on AJFA, and to tell you the truth, all those years I never even noticed, thought it sounded great, but once I read about it it sure does appear that way.

Then there was that bizarre pirate music crusade they were on. Extremely vocal proponents of this stuff seem far removed from the fans that actually did buy their records two, three times over when the industry changed formats.

Saw some creepy documentary with all this weird get-in-touch-with-your-feelings stuff.

The Sandman song was very popular but popularity always baffles me.

They’ve had some good songs since Justice, I even like a couple of their pretty ones, nothing wrong with that.

I hear drummers hating on Lars, but I love his sound and love his playing.

I saw them do the n. anthem at a hockey match and it was pretty cool.

Great band, complicated, but great band.

dlew919 likes this.
  7. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

The Black Album is what got me into Metallica. Love it or hate it, but it was definitely a landmark in music history.

My musical tastes were just starting to take shape at the time. Like most of my music listening, I tend to discover things after the curve - after I bought the Black Album, I got Justice, then Lightning, then Puppets. (I don't think I bought all those IIRC - probably taped it from someone else on cassette. The old school Napster!) I think I skipped Kill Em All. I didn't really listen to the Black album as much anymore!

So even if it was not their best work, it was a gateway drug for me.

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, Lars was the main driver of that crusade, though the rest of Metallica had to be at least partly on board I would think. I used to joke that when Metallica finds out about 200,000 illegal downloads in Ukraine, they fire up the lawyers and sue. When Iron Maiden finds out about 200,000 illegal downloads in Ukraine, they fire up Ed Force One and play a show.

a6NHnf2H89KhLkbhWTbNKE-2.jpg

Mike Eskimo and SolidSteak like this.
  9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nothing lasts, so what's the point? Really? So if we don't hold on to anything, then we can enjoy it without attachment. No problem!

This reminds me of funny attitudes people develop about music. Some people see music as disposable, which if some (but not all) music is art, then that raises some interesting questions.

The other attitude is contained in a story. I was 19 or 20, working in a Whole Foods Market (back when they only existed in Dallas and Austin, Tx) and it was a place where hippies and ex-hippies would shop. I was completely obsessed with Hendrix back then, and was wearing a Hendrix sweat shirt. A woman noticed it and asked "Aren't you a little young for Hendrix?" without missing a beat, I asked in return "I don't know, do you like Beethoven?"

Flat6Driver likes this.
  10. Endless Mike

That's because Maiden freaking rules. Watched that documentary about them. They seem really laid back and cool. Everyone thinks Rush were really laid back and down to earth, Maiden wins that contest.

Chud likes this.
  11. Endless Mike

All of us Rush fans would pay to see them, alas to be no more. Really screwed up not going to that show in 2015...

OldDude2 likes this.
  12. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

I loved it back then, but I don't like it much now. I think it sounds very dated and the production sucks.

Ride The Lightning, on the other hand....

13. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill TDPRI Member

Lars is the worst super-famous drummer in metal, if not the world.

OldDude2 likes this.
  14. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I like the Cliff stuff. I bought all the albums up to the Black Album and listened to them a lot at the time, but I only ever go back to MoP and RTL. Puppets is more consistent but Lightening is my overall favourite, I like the atmosphere.

Jackroadkill and Chud like this.
  15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Call of Ktulu and Trapped Under Ice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackroadkill and Steve 78 like this.
  16. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, for me the first three albums are the best, anything after Cliff Burton doesn’t do it for me...

17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Same. Jason was the breath of metal pumped into that band when Cliff went, & he still brings the goods if you ever get the chance to see him live. Metallica are just awful dad rock now. Metallica Inc.

Anyone who saw the Ride or Master Tours will tell you that was the tight mesmerizing version. ...with zero airplay too. None.

18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I remember being on holiday in Switzerland when it came out and trying to decide if I should buy it from a shop in Zurich but then thinking that was a bit silly and I should buy it when I got home. Still not bought a copy!

Metallica were the beginning of new metal and the beginning of the end of old metal. I’m reasonably okay with them ( I did see them live once quite early on) but have no interest in what they begat and it all ceased to be my scene many, many years ago.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.