28 years ago today...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No Sir,,,,, this is the true "Black Album" and sounds great in doubly;)

Steve 78 and uriah1 like this.
  2. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

As usual I'm missing something. It sez that "Stone Cold Crazy" from Queen-Sheer Heart Attack is the 2nd track but I can't find it. I'd like to hear them cover it.

3. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

I think the description of them making a Metallica album for non-Metallica fans hits the nail on the head. That's how it felt at the time. For them and the rest of the world, it was a great move as they became the behemoth they are now and have been ever since. I was eleven years-old at the time and hearing Enter Sandman being played on the local top 40 radio station felt like an affront. I listened to the record a bunch, but it never felt right and I haven't had the desire to listen to them much since. In those pre-adolescent days, it was intense, a band evolving. Kind of like your best friend moving away.

However, I did buy the No Life Till Leather cassette that the released for record store day. That was a mythic demo that I never got my hands on back in the day.

4. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

When I was in college (early 90's), I'd read the alt.metallica usenet forum. People would say they sold out on RTL, then they sold out on MOP, then AJFA?

It was a never ending cycle of them selling out but no agreement on when.

@TheGoodTexan thanks for making me feel old today. :(

ftbtx, PlainAllman and TheGoodTexan like this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I don t see that one, the second track is sad but true.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently they did cover it for Garage, Inc.

I don't think the cover is a big deal, but the original song has been cited by some as the first thrash song ever.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

On a heavier, bitchier side, As someone who loves good/great drummers - who is worse? Lars or Alex Van Halen?

Is their even a point to Lars ? Wouldn’t it have been cooler if that was all just drum machine? Couldve been like super heavy techno ? And they never would’ve been held back as far as tempo was concerned on the earlier stuff.

I’m sure there are people that have it ingrained in their brain that that’s what a kick drum is supposed to sound like but - yeesh...

Incidentally Lars and I were born on exactly the same day in exactly the same year ...

Jackroadkill likes this.
  8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Black Album caught us all off guard. I remember going with a Buddy to the mall buying it. Popped the cassette in and kept waiting for the Metallica we were used to to show up. I go back and forth on how much I like the album. I will say FM radio has helped me no longer need to hear Enter Sandman. We saw them on tour a couple years back it was great, Sandman was the final song. I didn't mind leaving to beat a bit of the traffic while they played it.

Give me Trapped Under Ice!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    PlainAllman and Moriarty like this.
  9. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

You do realize where you are saying that right? An internet forum where grown men and women discuss all manner of things old and new that didn't matter yesterday, let alone 28 years ago. :lol::lol::lol:

10. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

First album I got the day it came out. Me and my best friend drove around and listened to the whole thing twice.
    How surprised we were to get back to school (senior year high school) and discover that the jocks and the cool kids suddenly were into Metallica.
    I never blamed the band. At the time I didn't care that it didn't sound like the other albums. It still rocked.
    Sad But True is probably my favorite Metallica song. As for the album itself, I could do without Through the Never, Of Wolf and Man, and even Enter Sandman - now. Back then I loved them all.
    Saw them twice on the tour. Indoor show that December (floor seats $25!), then the next summer with Guns (nosebleed seats $25!).
    I still have my tour shirt, and it still fits! I had to retire it though. The collar ripped. Just after I saw them on the Hardwired tour.
    Good times. I hated my high school experience. Metallica helped get me through it, even after the cool kids got on board.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    ElJay370 likes this.
  11. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

On a heavier, bitchier side, As someone who loves good/great drummers - who is worse? Lars or Alex Van Halen?

Ouch - that's a tough call, but I'm a huge Neil Peart fan.

I would pay a lot just to see RUSH too busy working...:(

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I've been listening to a lot of Metallica lately and I have to say that although I was glad they finally got a decent recorded sound on the Black Album, it's really not their best record.

Also, it's noteworthy that the drum sound is almost identical to what Bob Rock did on Dr. Feelgood. Even though I always thought Lars' drum sound sucked, at least it was his, very unique and recognizable, sound.

OldDude2 likes this.
  13. staxman

staxman Tele-Holic

The band has mellowed over the years:

whole tone likes this.
  14. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I thought the best thing about the whole album release was when Modern Drummer asked Lars (a lifetime Tama player) how he got such a great drum sound- "oh yeah, man, we rented an old Gretsch kit from Ross Garfield".
    Tama must've been STOKED.

Moriarty likes this.
  15. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

It was their contribution to an Elektra Records anniversary album, then issued as a b-side to... some single from the Black Album. Can't remember which. I do remember being very upset when the tape broke

16. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

Haha! Only the fireworks made Enter Sandman tolerable last time I saw them.
    It's not the anthem everyone else seems to think it is. To me.

Jackroadkill likes this.
  17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

This thread spurred me to finally replace the Some Kind of Monster DVD that I loaned someone at some point and never got back. Interesting look at band dynamics at that level if you haven't seen it. Well worth the $4 shipped IMHO.

Moriarty likes this.
  18. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought that was going to be a mashup. But no they did that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

All I ve heard, they either play w mega distortion or acoustic. Do they ever play electric clean or w blues level distortion ?

20. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Can you define "mashup" and I heard y'all have snow? We live in curious times indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.