250k Vol with 500k tone pot

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Rockhead, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I have a unfinished Tele body made from several pieces cheap pine from Home Depot I threw together years ago just for the hell of it. I also happen to have a Mighty Might neck, a pair of GFS mean 90's and various pots and switches and started to assemble my beatercaster. I was wondering what the difference would be if I used a 250k volume pot and a 500k tone pot instead of another 250K for the tone. I remember the Mean 90's bridge being a little shrill when I had them in another Tele with 375K pots. The reason I am using these 2 are because they are new(ish). The others have been in and out of my guitars over the years.

2. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I guess there is only one way to find out ...

3. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

That's what I've got on my 12 string tele. It's got a pretty hot tele bridge pickup. I find the 500k tone knob really opens it up for the brighter leads. They can be a touch shrill if you leave it "full bore" but I love around 7, really pleased I did it. Besides, you can also stick it on 5 and have the same as a 250k!

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

With the knobs dimed it would work out the same as a pair of 330k pots but you can always roll back the tone pot to 250k and it would be electronically identical to a pair of 250k pots.

I_build_my_own likes this.
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I have it the other way round...500k volume and 250k tone...P90 neck, hot Tele bridge. I THINK the P90 needs the 500k volume pot even when the tone pot is on 10. I also think I'm going to get a no load 250k pot to replace the current tone pot so that basically I'll have the P90 with a 500k volume pot only and no other resistance; give me that extra little something, go to eleven.

The guitar is already almost perfect...I think this would make it perfecter.
    20200709_112400.jpg

20200701_155444~2.jpg

old wrench likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.