~25 years of career down the drain

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sotakoira Musti, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

I resigned from my comission in FDF last thursday. I was conscripted two days before my 19th birthday. Never left the firm. I haven’t done a decent, proper, honourable or real job in my lifetime.

I just had enough and took the plunge to abyss. I really haven’t a slightest idea what I’ll do next. Flipping hamburgers at McD? Selling vacuum cleaners from door to door? All I can do is to lead infantry/armoured jaeger/anti-tank coy. And 10 years of MIL HR-stuff. There’s not that much demand on my skills.

So, any suggestions? I have no friends or family which could employ me. Slow suicide by drinking is one (but bad) choice.

2. maxvintage

maxvintage Poster Extraordinaire

play more guitar!

3. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

I’ve tried drinking thing. Trust me, it doesn’t work.

4. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Don't sell your skills short. I imagine it takes a lot of skills to lead in the military. I also imagine that a lot of those skills are valuable in the private sector.

5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

try the abilty tests that are usually available in your job agency and see what results you get.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Leading looks good on a resume.
    Sometimes career centers help with that. Wish you well. You will end up fine

skunqesh, Obsessed, SRHmusic and 6 others like this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I would look around for a store-manager type position for a company that has multiple regional or national locations, and start at the "bottom" in terms of management. If no site management positions are available, just try to find any opening in a company like that.

I would also try to gain the attention of Corporate HR first rather than by inquiring at individual locations, and make sure they know you're interested in advancement opportunities.

You may be surprised how well your management and command skills will translate into different industries.

Good luck and keep trying!

Obsessed, Omiewise65 and nojazzhere like this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is there any Finnish equivalent to the US's GI Bill? College often steers people toward new pathways....

9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The best expeditor/coordinator I ever had was ex-military. (A sergeant-major) He could find anyone, anything and have it dispatched quickly. He could organize the crews and schedules, the resources, etc.
    I am in industrial/mining contracting.

10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

With all those years of experience and dedication you most certainly could find a job that supports the military. You’d be surprised. How about writing curriculum for the skills you have? Or even so writing curriculum in any skill. All you need is a subject matter expert to assist you. That’s what I was going to do after 30 years. Research your options. There is a demand for all those manuals you used.

Torren61 likes this.
  11. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

At first just find anything to keep you busy. Too much free time can be too much trouble.
    Since you have experience leading people how about some sort of guide. Travel guide, camping/fishing/hunting guide?
    Best of luck.

Jakedog, Rockinvet and Torren61 like this.
  12. Sotakoira Musti

No, nothing. No golden handshakes or route to university etc. I’m all on my own.

13. kookaburra

kookaburra Friend of Leo's

I take it you were an officer? Leadership qualities developed as an officer or a noncom over that period of time may be an asset that you can use. I know that is looked at here in the States, although that certainly is not a sure thing.

What about educational opportunities offered via the FDF or whatever you call your Department of Defense? Or anywhere else?

Last, but not least, I take it you have a pension from 25 years in? If so, that should give you some cushion from which to operate from in searching for another career.

Edit: I see that you've answered the ed question

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I "lucked into" a career in live events about 3-4 weeks after my military discharge by troubleshooting a ground loop in a sound system at a weekend gig, while the owner of the local SoundCo observed from a barstool. That was a Saturday. Monday we talked at his shop. Wednesday I was on the road as summer crew. It snowballed from there. I have worked events for my entire adult life, excepting that time I worked in aviation, because of that fateful night. To be fair, in the military, I chased Soviet submarines, so I had an exceptionally strong background in aural science, which helps.

CharlieO, Telekarster and Rockinvet like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Do not sell your military skill set short. I retired at 29.5yrs (Navy) without bothering to look for work, figuring I'd take a breather. Two months later, the local community college sought me out (word of mouth) and asked me to apply as the Plant/Facilities Manager. I did on a lark and was hired posthaste on a year contract. I did the year...paid off the house...told them what it would cost to keep me, they said 'we can't do that", so I really retired;). During my time there, more and more folks would come to me to help plan this or that...the school president once asked me "is there anything you cannot do?" :cool:

The hard part is penning your military experience and skill sets into resume blurbs with meaning in the civilian sector---there are stacks of books and buckets of internet bytes with advice on how to do that. Happy Hunting!

16. Sotakoira Musti

Yep. 1st / senior lieutenant. My MIL pension has also gone down the drain. It’ll be transformed to general government pension. My 2% pension per year will be deducted to 1,5% per year, because I didn’t serve until I’m 48 yo.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So you are at the age of 44 , a young man feeling old ?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  18. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

To the contrary, you have leadership experience. Use that to get into a management situation in the civilian world. Don't underestimate your abilities as there are many employers who may actually appreciate your military service and give you a leg up off folks without that.

Rockinvet likes this.
  19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It sounds like you need to get yourself together. You have two paths. Drink yourself to death or seek help in pulling you off of that route. If you get help, after the time it takes, you'll see life is good and you have a lot more really great times ahead of you. You're going to need to be stabilized before you go job hunting. The military has supporting civilian businesses that would be glad to have you once you're good to go. Don't do the death by drinking thing.

20. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

The McD’s thing sounds pretty good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.